Corner Just Crumbled Off!

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm by deMuralist

MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 16

I took my cake out of the oven, took it out and let it cool on the wire rack. While I was handling it, the corner of the square cake crumbled off and there is no way that I can put it back on. How can I create the corner again? I was thinking with Marzipan? I live in the UK and we put Marzipan underneath the fondant.

15 replies
MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 16

Please help! icon_sad.gif

jjkarm Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 16

Once I baked a cake that had several corners literally crumble to pieces. (Bad recipe, and I didn't have time to re-bake. icon_cry.gif ) So I gathered together as many crumbs as I could and mixed them with a little frosting. Just enough frosting to hold the crumbs together. Then I molded it and formed a new corner. Everything worked out fine. HTH

luddroth Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 16

I was going to suggest the same thing -- it's like spackle. Sculpt the corner out of the crumb/buttercream mixture, then chill it. Covering with marzipan is great because you should be able to make a nice sharp corner with it.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for the advise. I am going to make a ganache filling so maybe I can mix the crumbs with the ganache. Will the consistency of the filling be suitable for the corner or should I melt more chocolate for the corner so it will set? Not sure if there is enough crumbs though. I am going to be doing this in October. I hope they don't notice the crusty corners...

rainbow_kisses Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 16

If the cake was being paid for I would simply just re bake. I would only rebuild the corner if the customer was someone close who knew what you had done or it was free for family or friends and you could tell them not to eat the re built corner.

luddroth Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 16

Oh, I thought it was an emergency. If you're doing it in October, why not re-bake?

jjkarm Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 16

Re-bake! Especially if it's for a paying customer. Doing it over will be easier and will save you a lot of worry later on!

LisaPeps Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 16

I agree, re-bake. Did you leave the cake to cool for long enough in the pan before you took it out? I always leave my cakes to cool in the pan until the pan is cool to the touch or over night and never had a problem with corners.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:56am
post #10 of 16

Ok, i'll rebake. At least its been practice for me. I always end up with a dome so I thought I'd place it on a lower shelf in the oven. Also as it was a large cake it took longer to cook (about 25 mins more than stated in the receipe). Could this be the reason why my edges are so crusty? Also, no, I didn't leave it to cool in the pan. I took it out straight away. I will be going on holiday for 2 weeks before the wedding which means I will have to bake my cakes at least 3 - 4 weeks early and freeze.

rainbow_kisses Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:17am
post #11 of 16

misscakecrazy when cooking any cake I always cook at a very low temperature like gas mark 2, always place the cake pan on the middle shelf and it does take a longer time but it cooks it equally rather than baking the edges and then leaving the middle uncooked. Try leaving the cake to cool in the pan for at least an hour this will help prevent the cake flexing when you turn it out. good luck with your next cake icon_smile.gif

HannahLass Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:24am
post #12 of 16

Hello fellow UK person! Greetings from the northwest! I always bake in the centre of my oven at 160, takes a little longer but I still get a nice moist cake. I may be a sinner but I leave them in the tins to cool. I fully line the pans with baking paper so not sure if that has an effect. I dont put them on wire racks just leave them as they are and people love them, never had a problem with cake that way but I'm only a hobby baker who does this for fun. Good luck with the next one I'm sure it will be great. xx

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:31am
post #13 of 16

I bake my cakes at gas mark 4. I usually put them on the middle shelf but this time I put it lower than the middle (to avoid any dome). It took ages to cook as the middle was still raw (even though I used baking strips).

rainbow_kisses Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 16

Another tip I forgot to mention is that I don't use bake strips or a heat core I place a pan of boiling water in the centre of the bottom of the oven underneath the cake pan and the heat helps to cook the centre of the cake. It also help to maintain moisture in the oven. I use a range but it works well in all ovens.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 16

Ok, like a bain marie? I have never heard of that before being used when baking cakes. maybe I should try it next time

deMuralist Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 16

i just roll up a rag that I have soaked in water and use it as a bake strip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%