Adding Sugar Syrup To A Cake?

Decorating By KdKim Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm by Malakin

KdKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KdKim Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! So I was baking a cake this morning and it needed a few more minutes in the oven. Ever forget to set the timer? I went along and was doing what I needed to do and forgot about it. It's not burned by any means, but I'm afraid it's going to be too dry. I really wasn't wanting to make another cake but I've seen some places that add a sugar syrup to their cakes before icing to keep it moist.

Anyone have any info. on this or if it would be a good idea to do something like that to save this cake? THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 3

If it's for a paying customer, I'd look at it very carefully and consider re-baking. If it's for family and you want to experiment to see how a wash works, then yes by all means to it. i put a wash on all my cakes, and no they're not dry to start with. A wash (the proper name for a simple syrup put on cakes) is equal parts granulated and water, boiled until clear (just a minute after it goes clear) and then cooled and either brushed or squirted with a very small tipped bottle onto the cake. Don't soak it, but get some on there.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 3

I've used it plenty of times. No problem unless the cake is darker than the others it goes with, but you did say it wasn't burnt. I use the simple syrup on all the cakes I do. Luv it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%