Help! Need Fondant Advice

Decorating By dlong Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm by dlong

dlong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlong Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have never worked with fondant because I have not liked the taste. I found a recipe I liked. I practiced with this recipe. It tore easily and seemed hard to work with. This recipe was for buttercream fondant. Tastes great! Was the trouble I was having because of the recipe because it contained corn syrup or was it just my inexperience? This was my first try. I have read from others about Duffs and Satin Ice, but have not tried. Thanks for any help.

4 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 5

Could you post the whole recipe so we could see the quantities and ingredients? It would be easier to advise based on that. It shouldn't be a corn syrup issue as many scratch fondant recipes make use of corn syrup.

dlong Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5

The recipe is 1 cup crisco, 2 lb conf sugar, 1 t salt, 1 t vanilla, 1 cup corn syrup. I very possible could just be me, and I need a lot of practice.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 5

Ok - now I see. This recipe looks like a rolled buttercream recipe. It is very high in fats which can be why you are having trouble working with it. The powdered sugar ratio seems low - if you want to try adding more powdered sugar to it - it might make it more workable. I haven't personally worked with rolled buttercream but have heard from various people that it is frustrating to work with. Have you tried Michell Foster's fondant recipe or Toba Garrett's? They are both great tasting fondants and great to work with. Here are the links to them if you want to try it out.

Michelle Foster's
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Toba Garett's
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

dlong Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much, I will try those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%