Non-Hazardous Vs. Hazardous

Business By morning Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm by homebasedbaking

morning Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 10

in some states you can bake from your home, but it says "non-hazardous foods", what would be considered "hazardous"???

9 replies
CNCS Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 10

guessing food that is high risk. unpasturized eggs/whites, milk ect.

I know seafood is considered high risk. Check the servesafe web site or the USDA site.

PiccoloChellie Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 10

Cheesecake, meringue buttercreams, fresh cut fruit, ice creams, mousse, ....anything that has to be refrigerated or frozen. thumbs_up.gif

Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 10

I was told anything that needed to be refrigerated and non-baked items that were for example fixed on the stove top.

kelleym Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 10

Here is an article on the difference between potentially hazardous and non-potentially hazardous (NPH) desserts. Highly recommended for everyone here.

morning Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 10

hmmm, ok, thank you!!

Kellbella Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 10

I would check with your local HD.

LindaF144a Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 10

Which state are you from? Because it varies from state to state. If you live in NY state, it is clearly spelled out on-line.

I would first check with your state internet site. But I will also say good luck. Sometimes finding stuff on my state site is like finding a needle in a haystack.

morning Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 10

actually, i currently live in florida, which doesn't really allow anything- but i am working on moving, so just getting some info before-hand!! thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

homebasedbaking Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by morning

actually, i currently live in florida, which doesn't really allow anything- but i am working on moving, so just getting some info before-hand!! thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

It is true that what defines potentially hazardous food products is different for every state and in fact may be different from county to county within some states so you want to make sure you are following the letter of the law.

The Feds set the standards and each individual state usually branches off from those standards become more strict or less, depending on food safety rules and regulations. If for some reason you cannot locate the regs for you state let me know. This is perhaps a bit more info than needed but this is from the Dept. of Ag Food Code which all states follow.

If you are ever concerned about whether your products are potentially hazardous you can contact your local Dept of Ag, they often either have a food scientist on staff or access to one through a local college or university who can (for a fee) test your products.

Something else you may want to just keep on the back burner is food labeling and food product dating. You want to always tell your customers or those you purchase your cakes the shelf life of the cake. Here is a link that can provide a bit of info and you can also contact the agency that licensed your kitchen if you're a home-based baker for specific information.

These bits of info support 'best practices' in the food processing industry. It really matters not if you are home-based, working from a kitchen incubator or a brick and mortar, you always want to think "food safety" first, since there really is nothing worse that causing food-borne illness from food products that are not properly handled or stored.

Definition of Potentially Hazardous Food from the Food & Drug Administration: (this is a good link to bookmark)

Quote by @%username% on %date%