Serving Sizes For 3-D Shaped Cakes?

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 3:36am by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 5

Greetings All,
I did a search for my question, but no luck. Maybe it's what I'm typing in, I don't know. My question is, how do you determine the serving sizes of a 3-D shaped cake? I looked on Wilton's website and all they have listed is the standard round, square, oval, heart etc serving sizes.

I made myself a purse cake for mothers day and I have no idea how many servings that was. I just cut everyone a piece and ate away.

Thanks in advance

4 replies
Angelfire3 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 5

BUMP! Still need an answer icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 5

After a while you just get to know how much a 3D cake will serve.Mostly about 15-20 servings...more if the cake is larger.If I have a customer who wants a 3D cake to feed 40+ people I opt to make extra cupcakes are other cakes to offset the servings as I just can't fathom making a jumbo Elmo..LOL and having it tumble...

DianeLM Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 5

Look at the number of servings of the shapes you're planning to use. Then, estimate the number of servings you'll be carving away and not using elsewhere on the cake. From there, subtract another couple servings to account for how difficult it is to cut a sculpted cake into even pieces.

Say you're carving a purse from a single layer 9x13. According to my chart, that's 25 servings. Your chart may be different. I'm going to carve away about 25% of the cake. That leaves about 19 servings. So, call it 15-20 servings. icon_smile.gif

The giant longhorn cakes in my photos are estimated to serve 100. They're carved from two 2-layer 10x15's. That's 120 servings to begin with.

Angelfire3 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate the advice. thumbs_up.gif Now I know what to do icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%