Helllp!! Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By Aimomo26 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:33am by tonedna

Aimomo26  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 7

I made 5 gumpaste/fondant mix roses - they looked fantastic. I waited until they were dry and put them in an airtight container. This morning when I woke up to get them they were completely smooshed on the side I sat them down on, when I went to fix it the petals just fell right off... How do I fix this??? I have a cake I have to make for Sunday (I need 20+ roses!)

I tried drying them upside down but they were kind of heavy and just fell off the wires. Maybe they weren't dried all the way?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

6 replies
 mirda6275  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

I was taught to do them on toothpicks and put the toothpicks into styrofoam to dry without the gumpaste/fondant mix touching the ground. Leave them in the styrofoam until you put the on the cake the pull them off the toothpicks.

Loucinda  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 7

DO NOT put them in something airtight...they need to breathe until they are completely dry. After they are dry, store them in something that will still breathe, like a clean shoe box or egg carton. Airtight is not good.

anasazi17  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 7

Totally agree with Loucinda. I don't use a fondant/GP mix so they will dry super good icon_smile.gif Oh, and I build all of my roses on little tiny Styrofoam balls. I just make sure to inform all parties that they have Styrofoam in them.

tonedna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 7

Like the other ladies mention. You can't store them in an aortight container Let them hang in an open space for at least a week before storing the. Any moisture that is left i you dont dry them well will affect the flower. Is best to store in a cardboard box
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Aimomo26  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for the suggestions - I thought I was supposed to put them in something air tight - I don't know where I read that!!

tonedna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #7 of 7

It's ok..we all learn from mistakes.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%