Helllp!! Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By Aimomo26 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:33am by tonedna

Aimomo26 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 7

I made 5 gumpaste/fondant mix roses - they looked fantastic. I waited until they were dry and put them in an airtight container. This morning when I woke up to get them they were completely smooshed on the side I sat them down on, when I went to fix it the petals just fell right off... How do I fix this??? I have a cake I have to make for Sunday (I need 20+ roses!)

I tried drying them upside down but they were kind of heavy and just fell off the wires. Maybe they weren't dried all the way?

Any help is appreciated!!

6 replies
mirda6275 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

I was taught to do them on toothpicks and put the toothpicks into styrofoam to dry without the gumpaste/fondant mix touching the ground. Leave them in the styrofoam until you put the on the cake the pull them off the toothpicks.

Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 7

DO NOT put them in something airtight...they need to breathe until they are completely dry. After they are dry, store them in something that will still breathe, like a clean shoe box or egg carton. Airtight is not good.

anasazi17 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 7

Totally agree with Loucinda. I don't use a fondant/GP mix so they will dry super good icon_smile.gif Oh, and I build all of my roses on little tiny Styrofoam balls. I just make sure to inform all parties that they have Styrofoam in them.

tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 7

Like the other ladies mention. You can't store them in an aortight container Let them hang in an open space for at least a week before storing the. Any moisture that is left i you dont dry them well will affect the flower. Is best to store in a cardboard box
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Aimomo26 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for the suggestions - I thought I was supposed to put them in something air tight - I don't know where I read that!!

tonedna Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #7 of 7

It's ok..we all learn from mistakes.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%