Using Wilton Gumpaste Mix For Flexible Royal Icing

Decorating By Mommyofseven Updated 10 Dec 2012 , 6:43pm by EROTIC-BAKER

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 23

I have been following the questions about sugarveil and flexible royal icing. I made some royal icing today with Wilton gumpaste mix. I followed the directions given by another member.

Simply mix 2 cups of Wilton gumpaste mix with 1/3 cup hot water, beat well with an electric mixer,(it will be soft) and use to pipe out designs onto lightly greased parchment paper.

I have never used sugarveil so I can't compare the two. But this worked better than royal icing for me. I printed a photo of a soccer net,covered it with wax paper, piped the design and eight hours later I was able to remove my soccer net without breaking it. I still have to glue the pieces together in their correct order and place them on the cake. Any suggestions or comments on how others have used the Wilton gumpaste mix for flexible royal icing would be greatly appreciated.
LL

22 replies
anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 23

Did you use the Wilton powder gumpaste mix? Or did you use the premade gumpaste? Thanks!

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 23

Hi , Ive never heard of this technique before. What do you mean by flexible ? Sorry if thats a dumb question lol!

Mommyofseven Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 23

I used the Wilton gumpaste mix. And this is the thread I was watching: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676017.html

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 23

I have never, known of the Wilton gumpaste mix, but I have heard of the Baker's kitchen gumpaste mix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got this email from Baker's Kitchen:

"BIG NEWS!!
How to make Flexible Royal Icing:
We have discovered a great secondary use for our new gumpaste mix. You can make a flexible royal icing out of it. Have you ever piped royal icing out onto parchment paper to make cake decorations, only to have most of them break prior to use? Well, here's your answer: Simply mix 1 cup of our TBK gumpaste mix with 1/3 cup hot water, beat well with an electric mixer, (it will be soft) and use to pipe out designsonto lightly greased parchment paper. Print out designs or monograms from your computer, lay under the parchment, and trace. Allow to dry overnight, and the pieces will be flexible and "rubbery". The vegetable gums in the gumpaste mix are the cause of this. Also works great for piping out rope borders or strings of pearls, then pick them up and stick on your cake! It is a little too soft to make royal icing roses out of it, but piped designs are perfect! Works on the white or chocolate gumpaste mix. The chocolate comes out a little stringier, but it's worth the trouble for such fantastic results!"

I have also ordered it and tried it and it did not come out right, not saying that it does not work, I think I mixed it too long, because I walked away from the mixer, will try it again and post the results, but it is good to know that the Wilton gumpaste mix works well too.

Thanks for posting.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 23

Mommy of 7- Is there a stage with this 2 c to 1/3 ratio where this is set up and flexible enough to bed. I am interested in being able to peel off parchment and wrap a spider web down a building. I don;t mind if it firms up once it's in place but want to be able to curve with the shape of the cake.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 23

I so have to try this, broke 2 tiaras today...

dlobugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlobugs Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 23

Hi, im curious to try this. Forgive me if this is a silly ques, but when I peel of the icing off the parchment paper how do I stick it to the fondant? or will it just stick?

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 23

I also tried the Baker's Kitchen flexible royal icing without success. Followed the measurements and mixing directions exactly and it came out a really odd texture and was nearly impossible to pipe. I LOVE The Baker's Kitchen -- they're local for me and I stop in regularly. But this is one recommendation they made that didn't work out for me.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 23

I also tried the Baker's Kitchen flexible royal icing without success. Followed the measurements and mixing directions exactly and it came out a really odd texture and was nearly impossible to pipe. I LOVE The Baker's Kitchen -- they're local for me and I stop in regularly. But this is one recommendation they made that didn't work out for me.

Uniqueask Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:47am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmo

I have to agree, I did not have sussess with it either, I also was dissapointed. With the Wilton one, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:08am
post #12 of 23

I have used the Sugar Veil....very cool stuff but I think it is exspensive. Would love this to work. I am wondering if the problem is in the mixing (maybe??). The sugar veil when mixed actually reminds me of a meringue. Maybe try mixing the gumpste longer??
I am going to get gumpaste mix and try this myself. I am very curious to see if this will work.
Suzi

Mommyofseven Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 23

I did mix it very well and was able to pipe it easily. It was more flexible than regular royal icing. However I don't think it is as flexible as sugar-veil would be.

Uniqueask Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofseven

I did mix it very well and was able to pipe it easily. It was more flexible than regular royal icing. However I don't think it is as flexible as sugar-veil would be.

Hi Shelia,

Thanks for your help with the cake, I made it on Tuesday for my son's high school soccer picnic, the cake came out beautifully, the same cake that you made but unfortunately, my goals did not make it to the cake it got soft and broke, and I tried it with the Wilton Gumpaste mix recipe that you posted, I don't know what happened, and I did not even get a picture, because my camera died just as I was about to take the pic, any way, again thanks for all your help.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 23

I know this is an older forum but I can't wait to try it with a tennis net. Thanks for posting!

Mommyofseven Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 23

Hi Uniqueask, I am just now seeing your post. I am glad your cake turned out well but I am sorry your nets didn't. I hate it when things don't turn out...even though you would think I would be used to it since it happens at least once a cake LOL

I have learned so much from this site and try to pass on what I have learned and pray I can be of some small help to others

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 23

The original poster did not make a flexible royal icing. There is not mention of mixing it with RI. What she made is gum paste and piped it before it set up.

What the true test for flexible, rubbery RI would be to add the Wilton gum paste mix to RI and see if it works the same as the other brand.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 23

I've been reading about the flexible RI and have seen mixed reviews. Most are concerned that maybe they didn't mix it long enough. How long do you mix it? What should the consistency look like so that I know it's been mixed long enough?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 23

Thanks for posting this, I was looking for these results. I'm hoping to try this technique in the not too distant future. icon_biggrin.gif

Twinflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twinflower Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm
post #20 of 23

I have been doing some research on this subject and it seems like the magic ingredient is xantham gum. If you google xantham gum icing you will find a patent issued in the 70s that goes into exact detail about the mixture and percentage of xantham gum to add to the basic royal icing recipe.

I believe this recipe is the same as the name brand product because the ingredient list matches up.

Good luck!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:52am
post #21 of 23

So I mix up the powdered gumpaste mix with the water, let it set for a bit, then just pipe that? Or am I supposed to add this mixture to royal icing? *confused*

Also, how long do you let it set before piping it? At what point do you add colour? After you've piped it, how long before you move it to your cake?

hmmm.... does anyone know of any detailed instructions I can follow, I think I need it, the more I read on this, the more confused I've become!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 11:41pm
post #22 of 23

Thanks for this thread. I used the Wilton mix for Charlotte's Web spider web and it worked wonderfully. Quick and so easy to do. I mixed, used it immediately, then let the web set overnight.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940664

EROTIC-BAKER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EROTIC-BAKER Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 6:43pm
post #23 of 23

I have never tried the Baker's corner brand, but I have used Sugar veil for the first time and I must say it it fantastic.  The wedsite that I have found it to be the least expensive is at:

http://www.CakeSupplies4U.com.

The sugar veil recipe is patent but can be located at this website http://patft.uspto.gov/netacq/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sec2=HITO

I hope this helps you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%