Wine Bottle

Decorating By Trance Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 4:42am by sillywabbitz

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 8

I just got an order for a last minute cake and they want a wine bottle. The one with a greenish tint. What is the easiest way to achieve the glass look?
Thanks in advance-
Trance

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 8

Hey Trance,
Are you doing the wine bottle out of cake or gumpaste. I did a green wine bottle.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1737944

I used Juniper Green and Leaf green mixed to get the fondant/gumpaste mix as dark as I could. Then I used a 50/50 mix of corn syrup and vodka and painted it on to get the shine. I dissolve some food coloring in the vodka before adding the corn syrup to darken up the green as well. The bottle took over 2 days to fully dry. After the first day it was a bit "tacky" so I would probably us more of a 70/30 vodka to corn syrup so it might dry faster.

Good luck. They're fun to do.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 8

ooo, sillywabbitz that is a really nice one!

Here is one I had saved in my favorites (not one I did)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1419306

Trance Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 8

If I dont have any vodka do you think I could use lemon juice?

sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 8

Hi Trance, I'm not sure about the lemon juice. I was told it needs to be alcohol based not water based so it doesn't soften the fondant and dries quickly. If you have lemon extract that would be better. .
Vanilla extract has too much sugar and gets sticky so I was told to use lemon extract , vodka or everclear. I've used Rumplemints in a pinch too..it's clear alcohol and I wasn't using it on anything people would eaticon_smile.gif

deMuralist...that is an awesome cake. I think they used cake as the base of their wine bottle which is a big difference...I wasn't that brave but that is a great cake.

Trance Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 8

Thank You so much! Guess I will go pick up some Vodka.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 8

sillywabbitz, yours is beautiful as well, you didn't use cake for the bottle?

She also has a standing Makers Mark bottle that is pretty amazing.

sillywabbitz Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:42am
post #8 of 8

My bottle was 50/50 gumpaste and fondant shaped over an actual wine bottle. I cut trimmed it at the 1/2 way point long ways and let it dry. So it's a hollow half bottle. The cake is the crate. Sugar shacks blog has a tutorial on how to do the wine bottle. I'm on my phone so don't have the link but if you google 'sugar shack blog' you should find it. PM me if you can't find the tutorial and when I'm on my computer I'll send it to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%