Fondant Cutouts From A Template

Decorating By girlinthekitchen Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 5:26am by Skirt

girlinthekitchen Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have a client that wants a Super Mario cake and I was looking though the gallery and have seen several with Mario made of fondant and it looks like it is different cutouts of the body and then merged together. Then once dry they can stand on side/top of cake, they are so flat they almost look like cookies. I have also seen it on different cakes as well ie Dora, Diego, ect. I really like this technique as I am still trying to master figure modeling. I have been trying to search the site for how to do this. Is there a tutorial or article? I would love to know how to go about this for any character but most specifically right now Super Mario. Tried using the search button to see topics related to this but I think I was searching wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

4 replies
myslady Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 5

A paper template can be cut out like puzzle pieces and the shapes can be cut out with an exacto knife. Although, before you start, you may want to get a copyright release from nintendo to make sure you are covered by selling a mario cake.

AMOVERBY Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 5

I AM WANTING TO DO THIS AS WELL FOR MY SONS UPCOMING BIRTHDAY WITH DINOSAURS. ONE QUESTION THOUGH... ONCE YOU CUT OUT ALL THE DIFFERENT PIECES, DO YOU USE ANYTHING TO ADHERE THE PIECES TOGETHER? I'M NEW AT WORKING WITH FONDANT, SO SORRY IF ITS A STUPID QUESTION.

myslady Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:50am
post #4 of 5

You can cut out a and outline of the shape you want to create first and attach the pieces to it.

Skirt Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOVERBY

I AM WANTING TO DO THIS AS WELL FOR MY SONS UPCOMING BIRTHDAY WITH DINOSAURS. ONE QUESTION THOUGH... ONCE YOU CUT OUT ALL THE DIFFERENT PIECES, DO YOU USE ANYTHING TO ADHERE THE PIECES TOGETHER? I'M NEW AT WORKING WITH FONDANT, SO SORRY IF ITS A STUPID QUESTION.

It's not a stupid question! Some people use water to stick pieces together, others make a "glue" using Tylose and water. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%