Adding Fruit To Cake Batter...a Few Questions!

Baking By HPChick33 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 12:24pm by HPChick33

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 4

Hello fellow cakers icon_biggrin.gif ,

I have a few questions regarding the addition of fruit to cake batters. I really want to make a mango cake and I decided to try experimenting last night. I made a mango puree and simmered if over medium-low heat while adding sugar. Mango is a juicy fruit so I figured that this would make it easier to work with as a filling. It came out delicious! However, I also wanted to add some of that to my cake batter to get a mango-flavored cake. I was a bit hesitant because I've never done this, so I added one cup of this mango puree and reduced the added buttermilk from 1 1/4 cup to one cup. I didn't really notice any difference in how the cake tastes, but I did notice that it was much more moist. I am a self-taught baker so I am still figuring out the chemistry behind cake-baking. So...how much fruit can I add to alter the flavor of a cake but still retain density for stacking? Is this even possible?

I can see the mango bits in the cake and it looks beautiful, but I want it to taste somewhat fruity.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

3 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

Replace all the liquid in the cake with pureed mango. That's how I do for strawberry cake

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:17am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Replace all the liquid in the cake with pureed mango. That's how I do for strawberry cake

yes! that works very nicely!!

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies!

So I had everyone taste the cake last night and they loved it, thy just agreed that it could be a bit more moist. So next time I will replace the buttermilk with two cups of mango and see how that works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%