Cupcake Frosting

Baking By chrissypie Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 12:19am by erichazann

chrissypie Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what kind of buttercreams do cupcake shops use? When I watch shows like DC cupcake or Cupcake Wars, when they pipe the frosting, it looks so creamy and smooth, they are able to swirl with minimum effort. Also, it seems that some people are told their frosting is very sweet, I assume that they are using a a powdered sugar recipe, and others are told they are creamy and not too sweet. What kind would be creamy and not too sweet? I love making cupcakes for my family, but they don't really like the overly sweet buttercream and some of the meringue buttercreams taste like slightly sweetened butter and nothing else. Are there any really great, creamy, sweet but not too sweet frostings out there? I am also trying to improve the look of my swirl and I feel that the crisco/ butter and powedered sugar buttercream isn't creamy enough to get a smooth, fluid swirl.

Can anyone help?/ Thanks so much!!

6 replies
TattooMom25 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Chrissypie,
I use IMBC. Takes a few steps to make but the mixer does most of the work. I have watch "cupcake wars" a few times and have seen several who are using this too. I only add 2 sticks of butter to mine, as I don't like the super buttery taste either. Hope this helps

LindaF144a Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 7

Slightly sweet and creamy is SMBC, or IMBC. You can't serve those straight out the bowl like that. IMO, you have to add some kind of flavoring - vanilla beans, white chocolate, fruit purees, chocolate, cocoa - anything to give it that extra layer of flavor.

The only butter based frosting I serve straight out of bowl is the American buttercream made with powdered sugar and even then I add vanilla extract to it. I think it is too sweet, but a lot of the members of my family love it.

erichazann Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 7

Have you tried a decorator's cream cheese frosting? Seems like it might be in the middle.

BTW.. the crisco/butter/sugar buttercream is not creamy enough bc of the lack of transfats in crisco now. If you used hi-ratio shortening, you would get a much smoother icing.

chrissypie Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for the replies! I do use a store brand shortening that has trans fat in it ,but am considering buying hi ratio. The only problem is the quantity, don't know if I would use it all since I only bake as a hobby. I will revisit the meringue buttercreams and see if that helps. Thank you all so much.

LindaF144a Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichazann

Have you tried a decorator's cream cheese frosting? Seems like it might be in the middle.

BTW.. the crisco/butter/sugar buttercream is not creamy enough bc of the lack of transfats in crisco now. If you used hi-ratio shortening, you would get a much smoother icing.

That is why you add Dream Whip to Crisco.
And as Mamawrobin will tell you, the hi-ratio shortening has nothing to do with smoothness. She uses Crisco and gets a very smooth icing.

erichazann Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

That is why you add Dream Whip to Crisco.
And as Mamawrobin will tell you, the hi-ratio shortening has nothing to do with smoothness. She uses Crisco and gets a very smooth icing.

I disagree, I swtiched from Crisco to hi-ratio and my icing is perfectly smooth now when piped. I wouldn't say it "has nothing" to do with smoothness. It is not the ONLY WAY to get smooth icing. I don't have Dream Whip in my local grocery stores, and I live in the largest city in the country. Go figure. It is a specialty product found in large chain grocery stores with a lot of shelf space. I do however work right across the street from a large cake supply store where I can get hi-ratio.. so I do what I can. . to each their own.

Is mamawrobin a food chemist? Transfats act as emulsifiers.. if you get emulsfiers into the recipe (and don't over mix), you'll get a smoother icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%