Buttercream Under Fondant

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 5:21pm by JuneHawk

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 4

I saw at thread here a few weeks ago about how to cover a cake in fondant with a thick layer of buttercream underneath but I can't find it now. I think it was something along the lines of refrigerating the cake until the buttercream was rock solid but I don't remember much more. Does that ring any bells?

Anyway, I want to do that. Does anyone have any good pointers? It's a round cake if that makes a difference. I want to put a thick layer of buttercream on it because I know most people won't eat the fondant.

3 replies
kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 4

You do coat the cake with a layer of buttercream before applying the fondant. Try to get the buttercream as smooth as possible so that you won't be able to see the imperfections in the fondant. I do not refrigerate my cakes. I let them sit for a bit until the buttercream firms up just a bit. Then I spritz them with a light mist of water and apply the fondant on top and then smooth. I have found if you refrigerate and then apply the fondant you will get sweating and air bubbles. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 4

If you use good tasting fondant then people will eat it. I make my own fresh MMF with vanilla flavoring and people will often peel it off to eat it first by itself. As for buttercream in the fridge...if you are using crusting buttercream it is not necessary to freeze it or refridgerate it before putting on the fondant. If you do make sure it's not for too long because if you end up with a cold cake (not just a cold covering) then you can cause blowouts as the cake comes to room temperature again. Many people pop the cake back in the freezer for 15 mins and then use the condensation to help the fondant stick to the BC but be careful with how long you leave it in there. I personally don't do that. I fill and crumbcoat while the cake is frozen then let it come to room temp while settling for 3 hours, at least. Then I resmooth the buttercream and cover with fondant. This is what works for me.

Cat

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 4

I am not using crusting buttercream, I'm using SMBC. I know that you do put some buttercream under the fondant but some people put a really thick layer counting on iit being the only icing people eat. I wish I could find that thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%