Sps And Dummies

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 3

Not for dummies but "and" dummies icon_smile.gif I posted this on the SPS instruction thread but didn't get a response so I thought I would try againicon_smile.gif Sorry to post it twice.

I'm having trouble visualizing an SPS solution for an upcoming cake.

I want to do a cake that has some space between the tier. However, I'm thinking I want to put in styrofoam separators smaller than the actual tiers. My logic being I don't want open space behind the flowers. So if I use the styro, I can cover it and also have something to attach the roses to which will help stabilize them in the transportation.

My plan is 6/9/12 inch tiers. maybe 3 inches of space between the tiers, gumpaste roses to hide the space.

For the SPS my thoughts are the following but I'm not really sure of the best way to do this.

In my 12 inch tier, I would place a 6inch SPS plate and legs. Attach the 6 inch covered styrofoam to the plate. Place the 9 inch cake board on top of the styro. Do I need to have pillars into the styro or can I just "glue" the cake board to the styro? Then in that 9 inch cake I'd place another 6inch plate (since they dont make smaller) and attach another styro (probably 3 inches around) place 6 inch cake board on top of styro.
My other thought is to use the longer SPS legs and press them all the way through the styro but Im not sure if thats more or less stable for this design.
Just curious what your thoughts are for using SPS for this kind of design.

Also any hints on attaching the styro to the SPS plate and the cake tier to the styro is greatly appreciated.
This will be my first time working with spacers.

Thanks as always.

2 replies
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 3

I would glue. I just did this with one of my cakes (you can see it in my albums) but used a 10/8/6 with spacers in between. I just used buttercream in between to glue the spacers to the actual layers. I did not use SPS in this cake because of the seperators. I did, however, use cake boards and dowels in the real layers. The spacers don't weigh anything but the cake on top of the spacer does so the dowels/boards are actually holding up the real layer up top. I deliver with a cake safe so I had to predrill a hole in the spacer for the center bar to go thru...I would recommend you do this as well and start the center pole out in the bottom tier and slide the tiers down over it (mark center on the bottom of each cakeboard and on top of each real tier so you keep it center). If you are using a topper then don't worry about the top of the center dowel sticking up...just trim to level and cover with topper. But if you are not using a topper then just make sure the center dowel is shorter than the height of the cake and then it won't poke thru the top. Personally I would deliver in seperate layers and stack at the venue if I didn't have my cake safe. The buttercream will hold it steady as will your dowels/boards. Transporting a tall cake, even with a center dowel, can be totally nerve wracking.

sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info. I'm so jealous of your cake safe. I'm a hobbyist so I totally can't justify one but man are they cool. So using your model, I can still use the SPS instead of dowels. Your cake is adorable and you're spacers are pretty tall. I love that you were able to deliver that complete in the cake safe. Totally amazing. I love your topper. Very nice job.

I usually stack the bottom 2 , if small enough, and then do the last tier on site because I'm a wimp and can't carry much weight. icon_smile.gif It's good to know the buttercream held well enough for glueing the spacers to the other tiers. Thanks so much. I'm glad this will work. I'll have plenty of time at the venue so get everything arranged so I think I'll be in good shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%