How Do I Make An Iceberg For A Penguin Cake!?

Decorating By kelseyymarie Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm by kelseyymarie

kelseyymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelseyymarie Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

hey everyone, im pretty new to cake decorating and ive seen a few cakes with icebergs and penguins sliding down them and i think theyre adorable and i really want to make one.. im not exactly sure how to do the iceberg though, please help!

6 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 7

Try Rice Krispies iced smooth in royal icing then fondant covered, you can make different shapes and jagged edges.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 7

i made one once and I bought a styrofoam ball, cut it in half and mold it there. I was thinking about leaving the ball for stability but I didn;t need it after all since I rolled the fondant thick. So it was hollow and I put a penguin sticking out of the igloo door.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 7

If you have a ball pan you can use that, or carve a cake into the shape of an igloo. If you use a crusting buttercream, then you can use a toothpick or knife to cut "blocks" into the icing.

CaSandra77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaSandra77 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 7

What would u recommend to give it the shinny look like ice has?

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 7

I made an iceberg/penguin cake using the wilton wonder mold pan. Then I covered the cake in fondant and brushed white and blue luster dust on it to make it sparkle and have shading. It is in my photos on the first page. HTH

kelseyymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelseyymarie Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the answers! I ended up using the mini wilton pan and adding some extra cake to make it look like a slope

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%