Egg Whites Won't Hold Shape!

Baking By ToniMarieLovesCuppies Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 12:20am by ToniMarieLovesCuppies

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 7

so i successfully made my first batch of swiss meringue buttercream frosting for my birthday and loved it! now i'd like to use it again for my friend's going away party cupcakes. only problem is i tried it a few days ago and the egg whites won't hold their shape! it was 58% humidity outside...did the weather really do it?

6 replies
sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 7

Try adding a pinch of cream of tartar when whisking your egg whites to help them hold shape. HTH

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7

tried it! didn't work. boo. icon_cry.gif

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 7

tried it! didn't work. boo. icon_cry.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 7

When you whip egg whites, everything you use to mix must be 100% grease free. I always scrub my mixing bowl and balloon whip with hot soapy water, then go back and clean the whole thing again with vinegar just to be on the safe side. You can also use vodka too.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 7

rinsing everything with vinegar then water is a good trick. If you cracked the eggs yourself (rather than using store-bought egg whites) and got even a tiny bit of yolk in there, that could be the reason. Any touch of yolk or grease will prevent them from stiffening. Humidity can do it, too, but 58% doesn't seem high enough.

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:20am
post #7 of 7

thanks guys i will try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%