Cake Supply Store In Chicago Western Suburbs

Decorating By kmstreepey Updated 28 Oct 2013 , 3:14am by carlitos2008

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 12

I am looking for a cake decorating and candy-making supply store in the western suburbs of Chicago and haven't been able to find anything but Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Are there any specialized stores out here? I have a hard time believing that there aren't, but am having no luck at all finding one. Please help!! Thank you!!

11 replies
stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12

I dont know of any either but will be following this thread. Hopefully someone knows of one.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 12

Wilton has a store front in Lemont. It's definitely worth a trip. Their hqtrs is nearby in Downers Grove where they have a giant tent sale every June.
Happy shopping!
Laura

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:58am
post #4 of 12

Oops, the Wilton store is actually on Lemont Road in Darien, which is just south of 75th Street.
The Wilton Hdqtrs is in Woodridge, just west of Downers Grove. They offer all sorts of advanced classes there on a variety of confectionery topics.
Hope I didn't confuse you!
Laura

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:13am
post #5 of 12

Hi, I moved from the western subies a year ago. I could not find any while I lived in Plainfield, other than Wilton in Darien, IL, Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I saw one listed in the area in the yellow pages, but never found the business. I hope you have better luck where you are looking. There is a cake and candy supply place in Hickory Hills, called Delicious Creations. www.deliciouscreationsinc.com
Hamsquad

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 12

I live in Darien, so I'm at the Wilton store all the time. I wish that there were another option, though, that would carry other brands of products.

kmstreepey Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks everyone! I knew of the Wilton store but was hoping for a store with products other than just those made by Wilton. Perhaps this is a business opportunity....

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 12

Please do, I so encourage you to go for that opportunity, it is so needed in Illinois. We also need the home food cottage law for all here too. Times are hard.
Hamsquad

kmstreepey Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 12

It does seem to be really needed out here! For me, it is a ways away bc I am now at home with 2 little ones. But for the future it is interesting to think about. I need to start saving now! I'm new to cake decorating and not too familiar with the laws yet since I don't sell my cakes right now. But it would be good to start a movement to change that law.

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 12

You are so right Hamsquad. I believe Michigan just recently passed the home food cottage law if I'm not mistaken. I wonder what we could do here in Illinois to help.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 12

I'm all for that! You would think Illinois would appreciate the revenue as broke as this state is.

carlitos2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlitos2008 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:14am
post #12 of 12

The only cake supplies store I know in Chicago is cakewalk, here is their wepbage http://www.cakewalkchicago.com/, it is good. You can find books, pans, cake boards, boxes, colors, fondants, cookie cutters, etc. The last time I was there was maybe 3 years. It is very hard to find a parking spot in that area. 

I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%