How To Finish Edges Of Frozen Buttercream Transfer?

Decorating By nonilm Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm by TexasSugar

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 5

I just found out I LOVE frozen buttercream transfers!

But I'm struggling with how to finish the edges once it is on the cake. I have been outlining the design with the same color as the finished cake but there is a gap between the transfer and the finished cake. I have seen the large stars around the transfer but I'm not a fan of that. The last one I did I used a small circle tip and just filled in the gap. Any better ideas?

I have cake in the refrigerator right now waiting for your ideas!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 5

I don't really have a gap on mine.

I will go back and do a second outling around the outside after I fill in the transfer if I used a small tip to outline with. I don't spread on the extra layer of icing at the end, so maybe that is why my don't stand out as bad.

You could do a very small bead or shell boarder around it.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 5

I try to make the whole bc transfer the size of the cake upon which I am laying it. (So, if the cake is a 9x13, the whole piece is 9x13.) When I have one smaller, I simply use a round tip to make a bead border around it. I have used a smaller star tip for a shell border as well...

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 5

It seems like the transfer would be too fragile without the extra icing on the back. Do you have any problems with breakage? Maybe I just need to do the image itself a little thicker and then skip the extra icing on the back?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 5

No, I do make sure mine isn't thin, but I don't make it really thick either. The only time I have had a problem with breakage is if I use too soft of icing or I have little parts sticking out away from the transfer, like an arm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%