Opaque White Paint/dust

Decorating By wilsonar Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm by TexasSugar

wilsonar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm looking for a product that I'm not sure exists... I want to find an opaque white gel color or paint or dust that can be painted over light green fondant.

I'm making my dad's wedding cakes and am planning on doing a cake covered in light green fondant and then I want to paint the flower pattern from their invitations on the sides of the cake. The flower pattern is of magnolia flowers, so they are white. I want to be able to paint the flowers white without having the green show through. Also, what would you suggest I use to paint the rest of the pattern?

Any ideas on how to achieve this look?

Thank you!

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 8

White airbrush color.

wilsonar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

Can I paint white airbrush color on with a paint brush? Or do I have to have an airbrush machine?

yvonnecargile Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 8

If you use white food coloring the color would be more concentrated, air brush colors are thinner so they will go through the gun. Since you are painting it on you want it thicker. You may need two coats, just let it dry in between.

wilsonar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 8

So two coats of white food coloring would work? I was looking on global sugar art and found this product: Americolor Bright White Soft Gel Paste. Do you think that would work?

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 8

No you can paint with it. Check out my skate board cake in my photos. That is airbrush color painted with a brush on to buttercream.

wilsonar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 8

Oh that's really cool. It looks like the airbrush color works too. wWll either dry with a matte finish or will both look shiny?

Thanks so much for all the help. I'm new to this and have to figure things out as I go.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 8

It dries with a little shine I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%