What To Use For Pouring Hot Melted Isomalt Into Candy Mold?

Sugar Work By Sophdobe Updated 28 Apr 2014 , 5:07pm by writersblock15

Sophdobe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophdobe Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:30am
post #1 of 19

I've read in the forum to use silicon measuring cup or silicon muffin mold is the best way for pouring melted isomalt.

But I was wondering does wilton's melting/Decorating Squeeze Bottles or those special candy funnel work?

I'm a bit worried that the hot melted isomalt is too hot and may melt the squeeze bottle/ candy funnel.

What's the maximum safety temperature for those things? They don't list the specs on their product website which is annoying...

Any advices?

Cheers!

18 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 19

You know, I don't know the maximum teperature on those things, but they seem awfully soft to me. I don't think they could take that much heat. I also think that pouring the sugar into that, then trying to get it into your mold would cause the sugar to get too cold before you can get it into the mold.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 19

No, the plastic items will absolutely NOT take the heat of isomalt or sugar at 300+ degrees F.

You must use silicone or a metal funnel that's been warmed up.

Rae

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 19

I have a set of three tiny metal ladles and I love them. you can get them at kitchen stores. They are perfect for the gem trays.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 19

I bought some of Wilton's heart-shaped silicone baking cups. I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I'm thinking that the point at the bottom of the heart would help direct the isomalt into the molds.

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:58am
post #6 of 19

Wow, this is exactly the topic I need help with as well!!!

I'm trying to pour isomalt into teeny tiny jewel molds and my first attempt with a wax paper bag DID NOT work... It got too cold from pouring into the bag to do anything but clog the tip.

Next attempt is in progress right now... I seen on Ultimate Cake Off that one guy used isomalt "glue sticks" and a glue gun to pour into his molds. Not sure if it'll work with such a small mold like I have, but I gotta try something.

If that goes astray, I guess I'll try finding some of those metal ladles that tesso mentioned, because PYREX MEASURING CUPS DON'T WORK EITHER! haha...oh this is painful... icon_cry.gif

SweetsDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsDecor Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #7 of 19

I saw the guy on one of those shows pour straight from the pot into a metal funnel with a long handle. Before he poured the isomalt into the funnel though, he heated it up with a small torch. Looked much easier than attempting anything with plastic. But, things typically always look easier than they actually are. Good luck!

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:09am
post #8 of 19

Well, I successfully made 80 teeny tiny jewels, although you can barely tell I used a mold, they look like rain drops. Meh...even that would look pretty "falling" down a cake.

So the glue gun thing works, but it's finicky... The isomalt "glue sticks" break easily and take a long time to come out of the tip of the glue gun, by which point it's boiling again and I had to move quick. Seemed to come out in spurts - must be heating in the core and then when boiling, get's spat out. It's too late to keep on going with this...I'll try some more this weekend.

Keep the ideas coming!! thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:48am
post #9 of 19

i have these little hard molds and I wanted to make butterscotch drops and sour hard candies, but could never poued it nice with my pyrex.

I will be watching lol

damchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
damchick Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 19

Just a thought, base on the ladel thing. If you have a cookie scooper, I bet that would work ok. Im going to give it a try. However. I was wanting to use the isomalt with my Wilton Candy Molds, but am afraid it will melt the plastic. Has anyone tried doing Isomalt in those molds?

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 19

I had a thread on this the other day, and I just finished pouring a more successful round 2 of gemstones. I folded a ton of aluminum foil into thick squares and right when the impression was almost filled I swept the aluminum foil under the stream and up, scraping against the side of my Pyrex spouted measuring cup I used. I just kept changing the square once it got too gunky. It kept it much neater! HTH

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by damchick

Just a thought, base on the ladel thing. If you have a cookie scooper, I bet that would work ok. Im going to give it a try. However. I was wanting to use the with my Wilton Candy Molds, but am afraid it will melt the plastic. Has anyone tried doing in those molds?

I think Isomalt is too hot for those candy molds (the clear ones at any rate).

damchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
damchick Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 19

I just went by my cake shop to get some supplies and asked them and they said that too. She said get the white molds, they will hold up vs the clear plastic molds.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #14 of 19

I use the silicone cupcake liners and they work just great! You get a lot of control for pouring. Just don't fill them right up because you can hold them by the other side for pouring. I have never been burned using isomalt.

Sam1123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam1123 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #15 of 19

I have tried the isomalt sticks. I also had a hard time pouring from a pyrex measuring cup. Also they became very cloudy when they hardened. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Thanks for your help.

chesh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chesh Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 2:44am
post #16 of 19

AI like to melt sugar and Karo syrup in the microwave. I put it in a glass maple syrup dispenser (without the metal top on it). Once sugar is ready, put top on and pour into molds. Works great because of the valve shut off. Allows you to pour just the right amount of sugar. Hope this helps!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 3:07am
post #17 of 19

The hard candy funnel & stopper give a larger flow of hot sugar, It is ok for lollipops and larger molds, but not tiny ones.  I tried it a couple of times to make small jewels under 1/2 inch, and they all overflowed.

for Isomalt use the White Hard Candy molds, not the plastic clear chocolate molds.

Prissz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prissz Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 1:21am
post #18 of 19

I was wondering how you reheat the isomalt that is in the syrup bottle? I know it is dishwasher safe, but can it be microwaved without the lid? I'm guessing you have to fill your molds super quick or else you have to run your metal lid through the dishwasher to remove the hardened isomalt? This is an intriguing idea :-)

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 5:07pm
post #19 of 19

Over the weekend I used the tiny gem mold.  I tried to use a parchment cone to pour the isomalt into the mold with no luck.  The tip kept clogging.  I finally used a toothpick with success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%