Kitchenaid On Craigslist???

Decorating By Katie1985 Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 12:37pm by tiggerjo

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:35am
post #1 of 10

I found a great deal on craigslist. 90 bucks for a 4 1/2 qt kitchen aid stand mixer. owner says it's been used about 20 times in about 4 years and is in "excellent condition." Have any of you cc'ers bought a used stand mixer. Good stories? bad stories? There is no way i can afford a new stand mixer, even a refurbished one, this is my only chance at a stand mixer. So I'm debating buying this one or spending about 15 less and buying the kitchen aid hand mixer. Any advice? thanks in advance

9 replies
NikkiB912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiB912 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:05am
post #2 of 10

I bought a KA stand mixer off a classifieds site here for $40 and I haven't had any problems with it. I didn't even try it out before I bought it since we had met somewhere to buy it. It was the best deal everrrrrrrrr.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:04am
post #3 of 10

I bought one a few months ago from someone on Craigslist. I paid $80 and it was the Artisan model with the pour shield and the handle on the bowl (so useful, btw). It had a small oil leak, which I fixed by leaving it setting upside down overnight. It needed the height adjusted too, which takes about two seconds and a butter knife (if you're too lazy to go get a screwdriver from the garage).

Honestly, it works as well as the one I bought at Kohl's for $350 three years ago. The only reason I bought the 2nd one is that my first is cobalt blue and doesn't match the kitchen in my new house. I kept the cobalt one too though icon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:56am
post #4 of 10

I got a Kitchen-Aide Professional 600, 6 qt for $160. These normally retail between $400-$500. I absolutly love it! I have had no problems with it all!

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:03am
post #5 of 10

You know it didnt even hit me to look on their for a stand mixer. I dont have one and would love to get one, but not at the price they sell for currently. :/

Think I will go check it out.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:08am
post #6 of 10

I purchased my second kitchen aid from someone on craigs list. 4.5 quart for $80. She said it was only used once. I've had it now about a year and it works perfect.

I tested it out in her kitchen first before I paid for it.. The lady didn't even know how to work it LOL.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:04am
post #7 of 10

I think lots of people get them for wedding gifts and then end up not using them.

I've heard that bread makers are harder on their Kitchen Aids than cake makers...so if they've used it a lot you might ask what it was used for.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:31am
post #8 of 10

Cragslist = the modern rummage/yard/garage/tag sale for those who'd prefer not to do the real thing (such a mess!)

great bargains to be had.

common sense and a chance to try the product (if applicable) is all that is needed (oh and a fast response to the poster!)

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 10

Got mine from Good Will for $35. I'm just a hobby baker, no heavy use, but so far have been very pleased.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 10

go for it!!! I had a friend whose husband bought her one (she does not cook or bake). She had a rummage sale and was so excited to get 25.00 for it. The box had never been opened. I could have killed her with a good heart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%