Fondant Blow Outs

Decorating By elainem51 Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 1:41am by jenmat

elainem51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainem51 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 3

What causes your fondant to crack and blow out? and how do you prevent this from happening?

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 3

This is usually because the fondant was applied to a cake that was too cold or not allowed enough time to settle. Air and gas try to escape as the cake settles and comes to room temperature. I start with frozen cakes so after I fill and crumbcoat I let my cake settle on the work table for at least 3 hours to come up to room temp and settle. Then I smooth out the buttercream to smooth out any filling that might have splooshed out during the settling process and sort of uncrust the buttercream so the fondant will adhere. The only time I've had blowouts or bubbles is when I have rushed this process.

Cat

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 3

i only get this when I use buttercream under fondant, for the reason above that cat described.
I use ganache typically, and do not have this problem. Much firmer medium to work with IMO.
Also have to make sure that the fondant completely adheres to the surface. Inspect closely for air bubbles and smooth out to avoid blowouts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%