How Does The Silhouette Work And Other Questions???

Decorating By cady_album Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm by unwired

cady_album Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 2

how does the silhouette machine work??? I know it says it prints or something or another....does it color the gumpaste too? do I print something on regular paper and run it through and it prints on the gumpaste? I am super duper lost!!! I just really can't get the concept of how this works! I know the cricut has cartridges that you put in and it cuts whichever image you select. does the silhouette work this way as well? Please explain step by step how this works. thanks so so so much!!! I want to do professional looking decorations for my cakes...and I'd hate to buy the cricut cake machine when the silhouette is better...

1 reply
unwired Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 2

I just bought a silhouette and have yet to get it in so I might not be the best person to resopnd but here goes.

The concept is pretty simple. Think of a computer printer but instead of holding ink the arm holds a small scalpel knife. No these printers do not 'color' anything they 'cut'.

You tell the printer what image you want it to make and it plots how how to move the rollers back and forth to cut what you want.

The cricut is sort of locked down. In order to print various graphics you need to buy cartridges that have specific image packs on them. On the other hand, the silhouette SD I just bought allows you to take images off of you computer onto an SD card and print your own stuff without the need for buying expensive cartridges.

Both devices were originally built for cutting scrapbooking paper and cardboard and many people have had success with cutting cake related materials which is why most folks here post about these products.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%