Bake & Decorate Wedding Cookies Ahead?

Baking By cakeythings1961 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm by cakeythings1961

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm new here. I'll be making my daughter's cakes for her wedding in Sept. I'd also like to make iced & decorated sugar cookie favors, but I wonder how long they'll stay fresh without freezing. I'll be using the basic recipes from Karen's Cookies. Will they last 5 days? 7 days? Any idea???
Thanks!

4 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know that recipe so I couldn't say for sure. I know you said you don't want to freeze, but I just read something that says you can freeze baked undecorated sugar cookies and they should come out fine.

I have made sugar cookies and left them out, but covered for over two weeks and my brother and unsuspecting friend ate the cookies and said they were good. My brother did question how long ago i made the cookies and i just gave him indydebi's response: a lot sooner than those oreo's in your cabinet.

Besides the lofthouse cookies are baked before being shipped to your local grocery store and they last a couple of days sitting out on the shelf.

cakeythings1961 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 5

thank you so much!

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 5

Cakey - I've frozen decorated and non-decorated cookies and not had any problem. I recently did an order for 400 wedding cookies, so I baked a couple of weeks before and froze them, then the week of the wedding I took out daily what I thought I could get done and refroze again so I could move on to the next bunch. I thawed and wrapped on Friday, wedding on Saturday. They were a hit and taste was not affected at all by freezing. I do this all the time.
I use a basic sugar cookie recipe along with Antonia's royal icing, if that matters. And, I've had no problems about the colors running, etc. of the decorated cookie as it thaws. Some of this order were the black tuxedo cookies with white shirts. So, I'm sure if there ever was a worry about running colors, these would have certainly been the ones to turn on me.

cakeythings1961 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 5

Cookie, thanks for setting my mind at ease. And I appreciate knowing how you froze the baked cookies, thawed just what you could decorate at one time, then re-froze. I'm going to try that with a practice batch.....but this is going to make things so much easier for me!!
Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%