Is It Possible?

Decorating By michel30014 Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 3:32pm by michel30014

michel30014 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to make the diamond "quilt" pattern on buttercream icing and it still look good?

I did this on a cake last night and it was very difficult since I didn't have the right tools(??) I wasn't crazy about it and ended up piping a different color into the lines of the pattern to make it look better. Like I said, It was difficult.

Is there another way to do this pattern on a buttercream cake?

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

I did one, using an impression matt and I thought it looked good.

How did you do yours?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1723183

I used a diamond impression mat on the side of this cake. Kinda hard to see, but it's there. Easy as pie! I just waited for the bc to crust and gently pressed the mat into the sides. My new favorite tool!

michel30014 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I did one, using an and I thought it looked good.

How did you do yours?

The really hard way! lol I have this huge triangle protractor thing (used in math classes) and manually made my lines. Imagine that, trying to get the spacing and X look just right. IT SEEMED TO TAKE FOREVER!! icon_cry.gif
I finally got it, but it was not the best!

I guess, I will have to invest in an impression mat!! lol icon_razz.gif I"m not doing that whole manual thing again like I did last nite!!! icon_mad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 7
carrywilsonhome Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 7

You really need to either be Sharonn Zambito to pull it off. I have yet to see a quilted cake on BC done by anyone that wasn't her that wasn't wreckie. If I have missed one, please forgive me. But brides bring my staff hundreds of pics a week, so I've seen just about everything out there. icon_wink.gif

michel30014 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=630086

This is the one I have. icon_wink.gif

I really need to get this!!! icon_razz.gif

Btw, here's cake I did with my manual diamond quilt look. The quilt look is on a larger scale. I did the big x's. That was time consuming!!!! I guess we live and we learn!!! icon_cool.gificon_cry.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%