Help With Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By mahutch Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 3:17am by Texas_Rose

mahutch Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 5

I am just learning to make gum paste flowers and am having a really difficult time getting the petals to ruffle. Every video I have watched makes it look really easy. I am using the ball tool in the Wilton kit and am thinning the edges of each petal before trying to ruffle the edges. I use a big square of pretty firm upholstery foam since that's what I had at home. Could that be the problem? Do I need to use foam that is not quite so firm? Any suggestions? Thanks.

4 replies
catlharper Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 5

Yup, that's the problem. I have a square of fine sponge like material and on top of that I place an almost sheepskin like square of material and use that to roll out the edges. You can find the set at Michaels. They are pink...can't miss 'em! If you have not checked it out yet, there are plenty of tutorials from Tonedna on YouTube that are just fabulous!

Becky1679 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 5

I use a very thin piece of foam and make sure you have the ball tool half on/half off the edges!

sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

The thin foam is for thinning the petals and the thicker bad is for reshaping petals, so if you want to create a cup in the center of the petal etc. I am still trying to get my ruffling just right. Mine always too thick or to thin...I haven't found just right yet but having it on the right foam really helps.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:17am
post #5 of 5

I use the thin pink Wilton foam. To indent petals, I use the same pad but put it on top of a foam kneeling pad.

When you're ruffling it, you want the ball half on the fondant and half on the pad. Dust the foam with cornstarch first so it doesn't stick. Make sure there's no ridge on your ball tool too...sometimes they have a ridge that tears the petal. I use metal ball tools that I got in the clay aisle, they're Studio by Sculpey brand and it was a set of three sizes for ten dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%