Question About Licensing In Texas

Business By Shawnswife Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm by cakesdivine

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 4

I am in the process of getting licensed in Texas, however I have been getting mixed answers as to what kind of license I will be needing.
Originally, from my research, I figured that I will need to get a Food Manufacturing License from the State to sell my products legally. The lady at the kitchen I am renting said that I may need a Food Permit from the city. So, I called my health department and at first the lady said I would need a Catering License from the City, then she said I may only need a Food Manufacturing License from the State. My next step is to get in touch with the State and see what they say...

So I am a little confused and wanted to know how the Texas bakers on CC are licensed. Thanks!

3 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4

First you have to figure out which entity governs you. Ask the kitchen owner from whom you rent who she got her license from. That will be the governing entity. If the kitchen you are working from is in the actual city limits chances are you must deal soley with the city HD and they govern what criteria you will need. The state only handles those counties that are not governed independently by their own HD. I happen to live in a county that the State governs and they said if I rent an already licensed kitchen then I have to have a food manufacturers license only to sell my cakes and desserts.

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

First you have to figure out which entity governs you. Ask the kitchen owner from whom you rent who she got her license from. That will be the governing entity. If the kitchen you are working from is in the actual city limits chances are you must deal soley with the city HD and they govern what criteria you will need. The state only handles those counties that are not governed independently by their own HD. I happen to live in a county that the State governs and they said if I rent an already licensed kitchen then I have to have a food manufacturers license only to sell my cakes and desserts.

Thank you very much for your response! I don't want to be a bother, but I would like to ask you one more question, when you got your Food Manufacturer's license, what all was involved?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 4

Well if the State governs you, you apply, you pay the fee (both can be done online) Then they send you your license. When the State HD gets around to it, they come to inspect your kitchen.

Now you MUST make sure that they are the governing HD for your kitchen. If so then cool, if not you have to do what the governing HD requires to become licensed.

Oops forgot, you must also have a Manager's food safety certification as well. I also took mine online at learn2serv.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%