Need Help Making A Fishing Rod

Decorating By bluejeannes Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm by bluejeannes

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 13

Im having trouble with this fishing rod Im making. I used a spaghetti stick and wrapped it in gum paste. I used thread for the line and that part I like, but for some reason I just can't get the rod right. Any suggestions?

12 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 13

how big are you making it? how long before it has to be done?

i must say making a fishing rod would be so much fun!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 13

I know it's not edible, but how about using a bamboo skewer, like for shish-ka-bobs? Just a thought, not necessarily a good one!

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 13

I made one yesterday out of a bamboo skewer and it was cute...I used white paper covered wire for the line.

bluejeannes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13

it only has to be about maybe 5 inches more or less. It needs to be done for Sunday (it's a cake for my hubby, so it doesn't need to be perfect, but I just can't stand when something doesn't look right!)
It IS fun making it, I did the bobber and it looks awesome! Pretty happy about that, but not so happy about the rod!
The bamboo skewer might work, I want to try something edible first, but if it's just not working I might try that! Thanks tokazodo

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 13

try making it out of fondant. Since it is small, it should have plenty of time to dry.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 13

I've made 2 fishing rods:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1523797&sub=1523799
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1436436&sub=1436437
they are both made with a sucker stick and gumpaste handle and reel. the second one is more detailed; but unedible - I used tiny ring hooks used for picture hanging as the fishing line guides (just screwed them into the sucker stick.
HTHicon_smile.gif

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 13

i just made one using brown covered floral wire. turned out really nice i thought.

bluejeannes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 13

These are great ideas. I like the floral wire one (but is it safe to stick it in the cake?) cuz then you can bend it to look real. I betcha I'll end up going non-edible on this!

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 13

yeah, it would not be food safe. mine was actually being held by a gum paste fisherman so was not actually touching the cake. you could always stick a small stir straw in the cake first and then stick the fishing pole into the staw so that the floral wire was not touching the cake. yes, you would be able to bend it and i actually made a very small loop at the end of the pole to stick the fishing line threw.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

I've made 2 fishing rods:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1523797&sub=1523799
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1436436&sub=1436437
they are both made with a sucker stick and gumpaste handle and reel. the second one is more detailed; but unedible - I used tiny ring hooks used for picture hanging as the fishing line guides (just screwed them into the sucker stick.
HTHicon_smile.gif

And your cakes and fishing poles look wonderful! I'd use these photos as a guide! Nice Work, jones5cm!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks tokazodo!! I'm flattered! Pictures always help me...I'm so visualicon_smile.gif

bluejeannes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 13

wow jones5cm, those ARE awesome cakes. And great fishing rods too. I love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%