Key Lime Substitute?

Baking By jones5cm Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 4:49am by scp1127

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 7

I'm baking a key lime cake for a wedding this w/e and have trouble finding Key Lime juice. what is the difference between 'key' lime and just plain lime juice? I'm using cocobean's recipe here on CC. Any suggestions?

6 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 7

Key limes are smaller and have more flavor. You can also find Key Lime juice in a bottle in most supermarkets, sometimes it's in the baking aisle instead of where the juices are. If all else fails, use regular limes and add some zest to get a more intense lime flavor.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 7

Also, check the alcohol section of the grocery, I've found it there.

jones5cm Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for your help! I did find a lime mixer in the alcohol section at the grocery store; but it tasted VERY sweet, so I opted not to use it. I will try the lime zest idea though...thanks!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 7

I used to have a key lime tree when we lived in Florida, but when I first moved back to New England, I couldn't find key limes for my pie recipe. I found that using a larger amount of Persian (regular green limes) juice worked well. I like it much better than bottled juice. I used 1/2 cup Persian instead of 1/3 cup key lime in my recipe. Now all the grocery stores around here carry key limes in a bag, so no more problems for me.

jones5cm Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks FAClady. I baked this key lime cake last week and was finally able to find key lime juice in the produce section of my grocery store (the little green plastic bottle shaped like a lime that I don't normally like to useicon_smile.gif But I must say, it turned out to be the only cake my DH has ever commented on about being delicious and moist! But thanks for the substitute info; that's good to know!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:49am
post #7 of 7

Whole Foods has it in every store that I have been in... if you have one close to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%