Dense, Moist Cake

Baking By GeorgieP Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 12:52am by GeorgieP

GeorgieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgieP Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all!

Newbie here with a question~ I've tried many cupcake recipes and have never achieved a dense, moist cake. All my cupcakes turn out light.

What makes a cupcake dense and moist? I tried cupcakes made by a local shop where all the cakes are so dense that they are heavy...and heavenly!

Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif
GeorgieP

6 replies
stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 7

Personally I like the lighter fluffier cupcakes. Guess I'm weird. lol
Have you tried cupcakes from other shops than just the one? Are all of them dense and moist like you described?

GeorgieP Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 7

It's the only cupcake shop locally so I haven't been able to try any other cupcakes. But these cupcakes are phenomenal!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

that's so funny, it annoys me when cupcakes are dense, I expect them to be light! However that said, have you tried using a dense cake recipe instead of a cupcake recipe?

GeorgieP Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 7

OK. They moved my post to the recipe section due to having posted in the wrong section. So hopefully someone can help me.

Zespri-is there a "dense" recipe vs. a cupcake recipe? I thought cupcakes were just made from a cake recipe.

I'm looking for the ingredient or possibly a "basic recipe" that makes a dense cake.

Thanks again all!

Georgie P

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 7

I thought they meant the 3d cake mix. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

But that's the standard Cake Doctor mix that I always make and I don't think it is uber dense.. moist as all hell.. but not super dense, just holds together well.

Basically, take a box mix, add powdered instant pudding mix (1 box), reduce the water to 1/2 cup and sub in 1 cup sour cream (keeps it moist), add an extra egg and/or reduce to only egg whites. (The recipe here lists 4 egg whites, but some others list 4 eggs.)

The batter will be really thick bc of the pudding. An ice cream scoop with a quick release is best for filling cupcake cups.

GeorgieP Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much! I'll give that a try! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%