Suggestion For Buttercream Zebra Stripes On A Cupcake

Baking By marag Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 1:58am by myslady

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all.

I'm wondering if anybody has done this or has a suggestion for me. I need to ice cupcakes with zebra stripes, but keep it all buttercream.

Right now I'm thinking FBCT of just the stripes, but that seems like it would take a while!

Thanks, Mara

9 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 10

Hmmmm....i think i would just free hand the outline of 2 zebra stripes, then fill in with black icing....two stripes should be enough for a cupcake.

marag Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 10

I think I'm going to try to make rolled buttercream. I've never made or worked with it, but I think it will look 'cleaner' than if I tried to just ice it in regular buttercream. I just wish I could use butter in the RBC recipe rather than shortening.

Thanks for your reply!

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 10

or do mini stripes with frozen buttercream and just transfer to get crisp lines!

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 10

why can't you use butter in RBC.

You can ice the cupcakes in buttercream and use parchment strips to mark off the zebra stripes then airbrush or frost where you want the stripes to be.

marag Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 10

I can use butter in RBC? I've never made it, but had only read where it's too difficult to work with butter.

Thanks for the responses.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 10

I think you will have good luck with rolled buttercream for your zebra stripes. It works best for small designs imo. I've tried using it like fondant to cover even small cakes, and it was a nightmare. Good Luck!

Best,
Kat

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 10

What about warming your buttercream to melt it a bit, and dip the cupcakes in it.
Let it crust then pipe on a couple of stripes, let it crust then smooth them with a viva paper towel.

marag Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #9 of 10

I just made 1/4 of a RBC recipe, and I thought it tasted like plastic. I did not use butter. I was so upset because it was easy to make, and I liked the texture and consistency.

I used 1/4 cup crisco
1/4 cup light corn syrup
approx 2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 +1/8 cup of vanilla
dash of salt

I think I'll try it with butter in the morning, and if it doesn't work, I'll do the FBCT.

What do y'all think of freezing a sheet of buttercream, cutting it, putting it back in the freezer, and then putting it on the cupcake?

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:58am
post #10 of 10

I never knew that. Learn something new everyday

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%