Can Somebody Help A Down South Georgia Girl?

Decorating By izzy1953 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm by sillywabbitz

izzy1953 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 6

i have a wedding cake to do that is all buttercream...........the bride wants satin ribbon around the bottom of each tier. i am so open to any suggestions on how to wrap the ribbon and keep grease from the butter from soiling the ribbon.............any ideas?

5 replies
dguerrant Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 6

i usually pick out a ribbon that is slightly lighter, then spray with pam or wipe with shortening. here in arkansas, it's too hard to keep it pristine. if the grease/butter doesn't get it, the condensation 9happens on some days) will. someone shared this with me a long time ago and i've been doing it ever since.

Also, explain that the color ribbon might be slightly darker than what she wants. i've never had a problem with them about it. for those that worry, i suggest a fondant ribbon.

geri4292adams Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 6

I've heard about sticking tape to the backside of the ribbon so that the BC does'nt soak through and cause a grease stain on your ribbon!. I'd use scotch tape or masking tape.

Or you could try making a fondant ribbon the same sie as the satin ribbon, placing that on your cake and then placing the satin ribbon on topof that. It should keep the BC from messing and touching the satin ribbon! Hope this helps.

Sassy74 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 6

I've never tried it, but I've read on here that you can iron the back of your ribbon over a piece of wax paper. I guess the heat melts some of the wax from the paper onto your ribbon. It's obviously food-safe. HTH.

tcwheeler Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 6

Good suggestions. The wax paper makes sense if the shortening on the back of the ribbon works. The wax is a backing on the ribbon just like the shortening.

sillywabbitz Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 6

I grease my ribbon like Diana. I just put crisco on a paper towel and smear it all over the back of the ribbon until it's completely coated. Then I take a clean paper towel and wipe off the access. If you do this the day before, the day of you really can't tell you did it but you won't get grease spots like using plain ribbon. I worry about tape being food safe. If you're really concerned, I would go with fondant ribbon. I actually prefer condant ribbon because it has a little more give as far as lining up with the cake. If your cake is not 100% straight on the sides, real ribbon will not lay flat against it. It sort of sticks out. This happened on my daisy cake and I had to "tuck" the ribbon in the back to make it lay right.⊂=1627558

It worked out in the long run but if I had a picky bride I'm not sure she would have been happy with the solution. This was one of my early cakes so you can see all my bulge issuesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%