Background For Your Cake Photos

Decorating By MissSuper Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm by dchockeyguy

MissSuper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSuper Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for backgrounds that can be used for your cake photos.
When my photos are taken out using my digital camera I do not like the background I try to manipulate the background at home with a piece of cloth and unsightly marks or the refrigerator, the wall or something else is caught in part of the photo. The camera has many features, but I do not have the expertise/patience for going through same. Therefore any guidance/tips etc when taking out cake photos with a beautiful background will be appreciated. What about Photoshop or any other software/suggestions? I believe when you create a beautiful cake the background for that cake should be spectacular as well.

8 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:29am
post #2 of 9

I stack up a bunch of books to make 2 rows, think of stairs where one is higher than then other, and drape a cloth over both stacks and place the cake on the smaller stack. This way the cloth creates my background.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:14am
post #3 of 9

photographers seemless background paper (30.00ish). If you want that "destination wedding" look your talking about a green screen set up and digital image backgrounds and your going to be into a few hundred dollar set up.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:16am
post #4 of 9

I use a black sheet and place over the table and up the back over some object higher and larger than my cake. Most of my cakes on my website are done like this.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:18am
post #5 of 9

I bought a King size sheets, one black and one white. I do like others mentioned, i drape it over something taller than my cake and then across the table/counter and take my picture this way.

If you're looking for software to edit the background you can use any version of photoshop for something as simple as cleaning up the background (doing the "destination wedding" as mentioned above with a green screen, not sure what versions can do this) Or I use google's picassa to crop and clean up. i like this one b/c it's a free program.

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:33am
post #6 of 9

I got the elmer, tri- fold display board in black, the kind that kids use for science fairs, u get it for $4.00 at michaels, and it works great, it can stand up on its own so u don't have to worry about holding the sheets, plus since the sides fold you can have different light effects with you camera,
I am also working on using some scrap book papers on a similar board to make a fun back ground.
, before this I used to use a puzzle folding mat , that I got from target, it have a plastic side and a black velvet side, it looks pretty but my Dh had to hold it while I took pictures : )
Hope this helps,

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:02am
post #7 of 9

I like to get those panel boards. I ask Home Depot to cut it into thirds so it can fit in my car. I then paint them and use as my background.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:09am
post #8 of 9

I use a clothes dryer / airer to which I peg a metre or so of black material - place it behind my coffee table!!

See: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/Relznik/P1070583.jpg

I think my photos turn out OK.

I'm pretty useless at photography, but it seems to work fine. See my photos ...

Occasionally, I might just re-touch the background in some photo-editing software by enhancing the 'blackness' of it. But at least it's there and you're not trying to get rid of all sorts of stuff in the background.

Suzanne x

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 9

I bought some black fabric at the store and drape that under the cake and up behind it for pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%