Another Sps Question, Sorry !

Decorating By Lyndseyb52 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm by luddroth

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:53am
post #1 of 14

Hi

After reading all your recommendations on using the SPS system I've bought everything I need for a wedding cake that's coming up. It will have hidden pillars and also visible pillars aswell.

I'm confident it won't sink and will be nice and straight but how do you make sure the cake doesn't slide off the seperator plate, is it just those little knobbles that stick up into your cake board? I wanted to take it already set up but am I wrong, should I be only sitting the cake on top of the visible pillars/seperator plate when I get to the venue?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense or is really obvious to everyone else!!

Lyndsey xx

13 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 14

Those little knobs will hold it in place. Smear a little buttercream on top of the plate and with those little knobs, it will hold your cake nice and secure. I have taken more than 1 5-tier cake already stacked to the venue. When I got there, just put it on the table and added a few flowers. I LOVE SPS!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 14

Lyndsey,
I had the same question and fears, but it worked. I don't understand why the tiers don't just slide off! But they don't. My biggest problem was getting the cake to be 4" high. SPS works.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 14

You can move a pre-assembled STACKED cake just fine - whatever you can lift.

I would NOT advise you to take cakes with separations pre-assembled. The tier with the separation will have the SPS plate sticking up in the air.

I'm only assuming this is what you meant by (hidden) stacked tiers and (visible) tiers with separations.

Take the stacked tiers already assembled (again I'm assuming these are at the bottom of the design) up to the tier with the separation, assuming you can lift this much cake.

Then at the venue, you'll just set the tier(s) onto the SPS plate that's sticking up in the air. If you've covered the cardboard it can just sit on the plate. If not, you will need to border the edge so the cardboard doesn't show.

Lots of assumptions above. icon_smile.gif

You can pre-assemble and travel with whatever you can lift - but not if the design is separated. No system can guarantee that you can safety travel with a separated cake already assembled. Too much air space which is inherently wonky.

Make sense?

leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 14

And yes, a smear of bc, RI, corn syrup, or piping gel on the SPS plate, plus the peg will grab onto that cardboard, which also has a good smear of bc to hold the cake.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 14

Thankyou sooooooooooooooo much for all your help!! I did exactly as you said and it worked. The cake was actually bigger than I first let on, it was 9 tiers I didn't say until now because I knew someone would say omg are you crazy and it would have made me even more nervous!!

Everything went perfectly, I'll put a picture up so you can tell me what you think.

Lyndsey xx

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 14

Glad things went well for you. Can't wait to see the pic!

Lyndseyb52 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:30am
post #8 of 14

Here's a link to my cake pic, you can't see the HUGE amount of glitter on there from the photo!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1766267

If it was my choice I'd prefer a smaller, more intricate cake than simply decorated and very tall. The bride and groom loved it so that's what matters.

Lyndsey xx

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:19am
post #9 of 14

Sorry to butt in.... this week I will be using SPS for the first time too. So far I think I have a good handle on how it all will work... but my question is... is there a trick to getting each tier the correct hight of 4"? That's my biggest fear!

Lyndseyb52 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:51am
post #10 of 14

Mine was a mixture of fruitcake and sponge cake so I had the same worry.

I just baked more cakes and added more layers where they were needed.
I baked 3 cakes to make 2 tiers if that makes sense, and used a tape measure to make sure they were the right height.

Lyndsey xx

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #11 of 14

Is there any other place besides global sugar art that sells the SPS ?
I have to pay so much custom fees..
icon_smile.gif Jodi

leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 14

Oasis supply

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

Is there any other place besides that sells the SPS ?
I have to pay so much custom fees..
icon_smile.gif Jodi

I used Oasis Supply and still got dinged with a little but not a lot of fees. I'm in Ontario and feel your pain - I have yet to find a Canadian supplier that carries SPS icon_sad.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 14

Lyndsey -- the cake is magnificent! It's absolutely dazzling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%