Making A Diamond "quilt" Look On Fondant?

Decorating By stacyllind Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm by stacyllind

stacyllind Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #1 of 6

I am interested to find out what the best way to do the diamond quilted look on MMF would be. Any tips on how to get this look? Thank everyone!!

5 replies
KsCakes09 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 6

I bought an diamond impression mat through Global Sugar Art & it works great. They have different size diamonds depending on how large of a design you want.

Motorhead Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 6

i have made a pillow and purse with this diamond pattern (both found in my pics) on it and all i used was a sewing tool. i don't know what the name of it is, but it is a sewing wheel of sorts with interchangable heads. i lightly run the wheel over the mmf at an angle-just enough to make an indent, and then go the other way making a diamond pattern. if you don't have that, try a thin ruler, put it on edge to make your marks. it will be more challenging but will work. hth!

stacyllind Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tips! So do you just make the impression after the MMF is already on the cake? I just want to make sure that I don't ruin it by doing it before and then accidentally stretching it out. I have a tool like the sewing one so I will definitely give that a try icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Motorhead Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 6

yes, i applied the fondatn to the cake, them roughly measured with a ruler where i was going to start my first line, then gently rolled accross the fondant-i think it works great b/c you are able to follow around curves and such. and i didn't have to worry about stretching! good luck. remember to press gently at first. if you feel you need more relief, go back over your lines. better to use a soft hand at first. thumbs_up.gif

stacyllind Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much! I am really excited to try this now icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%