Help!!! Too Much Air In My Icing?

Baking By whisperingmadcow Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm by whisperingmadcow

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:44am
post #1 of 5

I think I have too much air in my icing and I want to know if there is a way to save it...?

I made a triple batch of the wilton icing and not it looks almost "broken" with too many air bubbles in it. It feels like whipped cream with too much oil.I am not sure if it s the weather or what but I have never had this happen. Can someone give me any advance on how to save it?!?!?

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:02am
post #2 of 5

Use a large spatula and "cut" through the icing in the bowl. Start in the middle and pull it towards the outside of the bowl to help "deflate" the icing. You'll break up the air bubbles.

I also find it best to let it sit overnight (or 8-10 hours) before trying to deflate the icing and use it.

It's definitely not ruined though, just gotta get the air bubbles out.

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:20am
post #3 of 5

I agree cut thru the icing and smooch it against side. Maybe tap it on the counter ... release some bubbles ... if not it will release stress. When I make ganache and don't give myself enough time to firm up, i put it in a big square bowl so it is really thin... firms faster....maybe if you took the frosting and "frosted" some wax paper or a big bowl it would take the bubbles out and you just scrape it off into another bowl and do another layer again? Does that sound right? hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:28am
post #4 of 5

My icing recipe looks WAY different in the bowl than it does on the actual cake.

But I also agree with letting it sit overnight (to settle), then just whacking a few times with a big spoon before putting it on the cake. (Ok,, maybe not WHACK it, but gives it a few stirs!) icon_rolleyes.gif

Be sure you are beating the snot out of the fat when you make the icing. Large particles of unbeaten fat can create "tunnels" in the icing. For some reason, people tend to be afraid to run the mixer when making icing. Turn that bad boy on and let 'er rip! I turn mine on then I would walk next door to the Dollar General and pick up my lunch, then have a smoke break on the way back. Mixer was running the whole time! thumbs_up.gif

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 5

I did let it sit overnight. I banged it against the counter top before I went to bed to try to whack out the air. It looks alot better although there are still some small bubbles.

I have to tell you, I am so glad that I have this site. Just reading your posts have made me feel a little bit more relaxed...Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%