Help! How Much?

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 6:50pm by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 5

How much would you charge for this cake? Plus they want me to deliver it (109 miles). She wants it to feed 50 people & have a raspberry filling.

I'm used to doing cakes for next to nothing for family & close friends. This person is a friend of a friend of a friend. Does that make sense.

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 5

Well it looks to be a 10 inch base with 6 inch top...That cake feeds 50...and you used my prices are $5.00 per serving for fondant...50 x 5=$250.00 base price plus extras like the coconut cup so it will be more.and then charge for delivery..109 miles will probably take you 2-3 hours...$1.00 per mile plus ...You are looking at about $400.00 and up..I certainly wouldn't drive any cake 109 miles for nothing and you shouldn't either....Make sure you charge for your time and worth!!

Angelfire3 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for your reply Kiddiekakes. I was telling my hubby the same thing. I appreciate the referral, but I think they got the misconception that just b/c I'm just a hobby baker that I will be dirt cheap. I'm not going to undercut myself.

I was originally going to charge them $150 based off of the picture alone. But once I got more information, I started calculating everything in my head and was like, "I wouldn't pay myself for that, unless it was a wedding cake." But I'm broke, so that's why! A pack of fondant costs $21; Then I have to factor in supplies & ingredients and most importantly, the full tank of gas I'm going to have to use to get there & back.

I hope she still allows me to bake the cake b/c I can use the money. If I charge anything less, I'll be losing money. It's bad enough I have to pay for my family's cakes.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 5 stinks..they want all the cakes for free...When I started out I told everyone in my family.."If you want to order a cake ..You pay the full price"..I have never had a problem!!

Angelfire3 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, the sometimes do (My family especially icon_cry.gif ). That's why I no longer make "free/reduced" cakes for them. They have to pay me for it & needless to say, no one has asked me to make them some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%