New To Buying Fondant

Decorating By Crazy4Bay Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm by idgalpal

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 3

I'm starting the Fondant & Gumpaste class this week, and anticipate incorporating fondant into my cakes in the future. Global Sugar has Satin Ice products 25% off right now.

I've seen a couple of threads that don't seem very fond of Satin Ice, so could I get some opinions on it? Also, I was thinking a sale would be a good time to get a decent amount of fondant to practice with. How long could I expect a 10 or 20 pound bucket to last (time-wise, I mean, not volume)? Is there a better brand to do with?

Thanks as always for any thoughts on the matter!

icon_wink.gif

2 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 3

Hey!

I'm still very new to fondant but... I have never used Satin Ice..
Only Wiltons and Virgin Ice(only in canada)

Personally ... I found the wilton one turned out better on the cake(no cracks, very smooth finish, but I do not prefer the taste) lol
The Virgin Ice tastes amazing, goes on nice, but it cracks after it sits, and you can see some flaws with it finished)
See my zebra cake(wilton) compared to my polka dot cake(Virgin).
However.. I prefer taste.. and I would use Virgin Ice over Wiltons! icon_smile.gif

I think its personal preference...

A 1lb package of Wilton Fondant lasted me a 2 layer 8" cake plus I still had a little more then a 1/4 of the package left..

So I think a 10lb bucket will last you many cakes!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with Deezdelights, personal preference is huge. I use Wilton if it's on styrofoam cakes and I use Choco-pan for wedding cakes. Choco-pan taste great, and I think it's easy to work with. I've used Satin Ice also, and I like it to, but still prefer the taste of Choco-pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%