Lego Theme Ideas?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:17am by Pickulz

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 12

My son wants a lego themed cake for his 6th birthday....and ive seen some terrific cakes on here...and im still going thru all the lego cakes posted!!!
But I really wanted to do something different/challenging...not that Lego wont be a challenge for me-im a newbie!

Ive seen some cakes that are 4-5 Lego blocks in different colors...with pegs..which looks sinple and nice....anything i can do to that to jazz it up..
I was thinking maybe having them lay on one another on an incline or something? Or stack them up somehow...that makes it look a bit different...this is my time to experiment..so really want something fun to do

And maybe have the green board underneath with pegs on it too?

Any other ideas??

11 replies
Pickulz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 12
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 12

I did a Lego cake for my son's birthday, just oversize bricks (no minifigs or whatever), largely because he did not want ANY fondant! I used a real Duplo baseplate on the cake board. The bricks themselves were modeled on an assemblage of actual Lego bricks that I had my son put together. (The model is in the first pic.)

The studs are circles of cake that I cut out of a thin layer using a small biscuit cutter. I froze the circles after frosting them so that I could handle them to place them on the "brick" without munging up the frosting, and then used a piping bag to fill in the gaps around the base. If I did this cake again today, I'd be able to get the frosting smoother -- I did not know about the Viva method at the time. icon_smile.gif But my son was thrilled with it.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 12

I did a lego cake for my son's 7th bday.

The Betty Crocker site has a video and a template for cutting a 1/4 sheet into bricks:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/building-blocks-cakes/ca36541e-624c-48af-ab78-68ef256e8903

I used marshmallows cut in half for the pegs. I wish I had thought to freeze them before putting them on the cake--not entirely happy with the pegs.

FYI--if you have a Lego store near you, they have great take-home party packs w/pick-a-brick boxes and mini-figs for the goodie bags.
LL

Pickulz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #5 of 12

Thanks so much for ur replies!!!
Im still debating whether to cover with fondant or BC..since its a kids birthday-BC might go over well...but my fondant covered ones come out cleaner!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 12

Here's the one i recently made, it's covered in fondant. The marshmallows I had on hand were kind of squished, so I used cake scraps to form cake ball "dough" and rolled out out and used a cutter to make the pegs, then covered each one in fondant.
LL

Pickulz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 12

kitty122000 -love ur cake! So clean!!! I dont think my fondant would come out that clean!!!

What type of cake did you use flavors, fillings? And what size pan?
By cake dough, do you mean cake balls? same process? I havent made cake balls before but I didnt know they could be rolled out...are they that firm?

I like how your bottom edge of the fondant is so clean...when i cut mine it seems not to adhere to the sides that well (just the bottom part near the board)...im almost tempted to tuck it underneath..which i dont...or do a border around it -but that wouldnt make sense for a lego cake!

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 12

Here is a lego star wars cake I did. From your post it sounds like you want to do something more challenging, but it is an example of making the cake board look like the green lego board that you build on. (Actually that is my favorite part of my cake icon_smile.gif)

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 12

Umm, yeah, here is the cake. I forgot to actually put the link in my last post.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1745602

Pickulz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

The candle idea is so cute!
though I initally wanted to do something more challenging (for practise)..im now thinking it might be best to keep it simple...the simple lego blocks looks very nice!

I think I will defiantely try and add the green board and maybe make a gumpaste figure...ive never done that before..and one challenge per cake is enough....i cud try and make a legoman...

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #11 of 12

I used this recipe for chocolate cake: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6093/durable-cake-for-3d-in-chocolate

Made a 10 inch square, cut it in half and stacked it. this cake had a buttercream filling with a white chocolate ganache under the fondant. It's Satin Ice red fondant. the ganache is the only way I can get my corners that sharp.

the cake ball mixture, with this cake recipe, I dont even add a binder. I just mixed up scraps until they formed a dough(cookie dough thickness), then rolled it out and cut circles with a cookie cutter and covered with fondant, I didn't cover them in ganache or buttercream.

Pickulz Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #12 of 12

Thanks kitty122000!!
I like using ganache as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%