Help With Castle Cake Towers

Decorating By oakleygirl77 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm by poohsmomma

oakleygirl77 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 8

I am making my first princess castle cake next week and I'm still unsure about making the towers. I've seen the Wilton kits, but I really want to make them without the plastic look. I am thinking about wrapping gumpast/fondant around PVC or styrofoam. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
VentureSister Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 8

Haven't done it yet myself, but was told that pringles cans work well also.
Check some of the cc threads. Lots of people have done castle cakes around here with and without the plastic. In fact someone has one going right now about transporting with the towers..

bakencake Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

I Just bought the kit and let me tell you, plasticrama!!! Im thinking of covering the turrets with fondant and letting them dry so they wont have that look. If I i was a little less lazy i would cut to the right length and then wrap the inside cardboard of the paper towels (not sure if im describing it right) with plastic. cover that with shortening and then wrap it with a mixture of 1/2 fondant 1/2 gum paste. wait till it dries and you have a base for your turrets, i think. at least that's how it happened in my brain.

LittleLinda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 8

I've only done one, and I stacked cookies (glued together with royal icing) and covered the stacks with fondant. These might be too wide depending on the size and type of castle you're making; but I'm sure there are narrower cookies.

oakleygirl77 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the great ideas. I may try a few different ideas since I have a week to go. Eating a lot of pringles and cookies may not be that bad. =)

CHoxie Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 8

Currently I am making a cake for a 2nd wedding reception that is a sand castle. I made the towers out of RKT, then wrapped them in fondant. I will post pics after this weekend. BTW, I got the idea from 2muchsugar here

QueenJessica Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 8

I wanted them edible, so I used little debbie swiss rolls for mine.

poohsmomma Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 8

I also wanted edible, so I went with ice cream cones. Used candy melts to glue them end-to-end, then coated them with candy melts. I thought they turned out pretty well:

Quote by @%username% on %date%