Ganache Help...please

Baking By kimbordeaux Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm by mamawrobin

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 18

Im trying to learn new cake things, (recipes, flavors, decorating) Im not totally new to caking just want to offer more. Last night I tried to make and cover a small cake with ganache. I have never even seen a cake covered in ganache or tasted one. So, Im not sure if I made ganache correctly. Is ganache supposed to get hard or stay wet? Remember never even seen a cake covered in ganache, lol. Im going to guess no because I see ganache cakes can be covered with fondant. Covered cake last night and this morning it was still wet. Also, does cake need to be iced first with something? The recipe I used was 1 cup chocolate (used Nestle semi-sweet morsels) and 1 cup heavy cream. Melted chocolate, heated cream and then slowly combined the 2 until mixed.

~Thanks-Kim

17 replies
dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 18

Do search on this website for ganache.

click this link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=ganache

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 18

From what I've researched, you want a 2:1 (chocolate: heavy cream) ratio. That will help it set. I think, as you have found out icon_wink.gif, that a 1:1 ratio won't work.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 18

...and once you have mixed your 2:1 ratio chocolate/cream, leave overnight to firm up - it then becmes quite firm..firmer than buttercream, and you can spread it onto your cake and smooth it with a hot palette knife

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 18

I use the 2:1 ratio. I use a 12 ounce package of ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 2 TBSP. granulated sugar and 2 TBSP butter.

I let mine sit for 24 hours to firm up before using. I don't pour over my cakes...I ice them with it. If you're going to use poured ganache you should ice the cake first.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 18
Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 18

Blessings Kim

Give it another try. Ganache is very simple to make. I heat my cream, pour it over my chocolate and stir till smooth. Afterwards I put it in the refrigerator to firm up. I guess my ratio would be close to 2:1, but I really don't measure it. (Been making it for so long in the restaurant, I kind of just eyeball it.) To glaze a cake with ganache, I crumb coat it first with butter cream. But just to frost it with ganache, I dont put anything on it first. Hope this was helpful.

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #8 of 18

I did my first fondant cake last weekend for class and I covered my cake with ganache though my instructor told me it won't work. Well I did a 2:1 chocolate ganache and left it on the kitchen till next day before covering my cake. So I covered the cake, brought it to class the next morning and had no problem covering it. I didn't even have to put syrup to glue the fondant to my ganache ... and it was Yummy!!!

kimbordeaux Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks ya'll for all the help! Most of my cakes are covered with fondant so I want something that will work with fondant also. The 1:1 ratio mix I made was great for frosting but, it didn't do well when I poured over cake to glaze. I'm getting confused in my online ganache research. Some say 2:1 ratio for glazing and others say 3:1 ratio for glazing. When I get the correct ratio figured out I will find the right ingredients (don't need to be spending $$$ on good chocolate until I have it figured out). What brand/style chocolate is best for ganache?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 18

I didn't spend money on expensive chocolate. It was my first time doing ganache and using fondant to cover cake...so I just use the cheapest I can find and it was semi-sweet

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 18

2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream for dark chocolate. 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream for white chocolate.

I buy heavy whipping cream and use with Baker's (TM) brand chocolate that you can find in any grocery store. Works great. I used chocolate chips when I wanted to add some to buttercream. The result was not the same as when I use Baker's chocolate. It's okay for filling but I would not use under fondant. I prefer using ganache under fondant when I need to hold square corners/edges and other specific shapes. It's also much more stable in the summer heat than buttercream (when used under fondant.)

mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 18

Kim....check out Rylan's "How to make Ganache"...you can find the link in his profile. It's exactly what you want for using under fondant. thumbs_up.gif here's how I do it.

12 ounce pkg. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
(I buy the Ghirardelli bars if it's a special occasion)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

In sauce pan bring heavy cream, sugar and butter to a simmering boil (about 1 minute)
Place chocolate in glass or stainless steel bowl

Once the cream has simmered a boil for 1 minute pour over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and shiny....

I cover and let sit at room temperature....(don't cover until it's completely cooled or the condensation will ruin the chocolate) to allow it to thicken.....about 24 hours.

It should be the consistency of peanut butter when it's ready to spread on your cake.

I put the chocolate in a glass or stainless steel bowl so that if I need to soften the chocolate I can sit the bowl in a pan of hot water. Sometimes it will harden a little too much to spread and I just place it in a pan of hot water until I get it a little softer and more manageable.

I do hope this helps...it really is very simple.

kimbordeaux Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:59am
post #13 of 18

Hey ya'll,
Okay tried the 2:1 ratio. That worked out better, poured over cake and it hardened. I used Nestle chips. I went to the IGA, Wal-Mart and Food Lion and no one had the right bakers chocolate. Mamawrobin, I found Ghirardelli chocolate (bars and chips) but since this was for practice I didn't want to spend the extra money. I had a new problem last night that didn't occur the first time I tried making it. Here is what I did, can ya'll tell me where I went wrong.

I melted chips thoroughly, no chips or chunks, on double broiler.
I heated heavy whipping cream to a low simmer (don't know if there is difference between heavy cream and heavy whipping cream, all I could find out here was heavy whipping cream)
Slowly added warm cream to melted chocolate.

When I started adding cream to melted chocolate it started clumping up. Big clumps as if cream was cold and hardening chocolate back up but cream was very warm. After adding all of cream the big clumps seem to have melted away but I was left with tiny lumps. I stirred and stirred to no avail. Are the tiny lumps supposed to be there? Looking at cake this morning i really can't see lumps but, most of my cakes are covered in fondant so I want to reduced the amount of lumps and clumps as much as possible.

Another question... do ganache covered cakes need to be refrigerated?

~Kim

mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

Hey ya'll,
Okay tried the 2:1 ratio. That worked out better, poured over cake and it hardened. I used Nestle chips. I went to the IGA, Wal-Mart and Food Lion and no one had the right bakers chocolate. Mamawrobin, I found Ghirardelli chocolate (bars and chips) but since this was for practice I didn't want to spend the extra money. I had a new problem last night that didn't occur the first time I tried making it. Here is what I did, can ya'll tell me where I went wrong.

I melted chips thoroughly, no chips or chunks, on double broiler.
I heated heavy whipping cream to a low simmer (don't know if there is difference between heavy cream and heavy whipping cream, all I could find out here was heavy whipping cream)
Slowly added warm cream to melted chocolate.

When I started adding cream to melted chocolate it started clumping up. Big clumps as if cream was cold and hardening chocolate back up but cream was very warm. After adding all of cream the big clumps seem to have melted away but I was left with tiny lumps. I stirred and stirred to no avail. Are the tiny lumps supposed to be there? Looking at cake this morning i really can't see lumps but, most of my cakes are covered in fondant so I want to reduced the amount of lumps and clumps as much as possible.

Another question... do ganache covered cakes need to be refrigerated?

~Kim

No...ganache covered cakes do not need to be refrigerated.

You DO NOT melt the chocolate first. You simmer the heavy cream at a boil for about 1 minute then pour that over the chocolate and wait 5 minutes then stir the chocolate until melted. I NEVER have clumps in my ganache doing it this way. Have you read Rylan's ganache instructions? You can find the link on his signature line. The French have been doing this for years....just heat the cream and pour over the chocolate...it will work I promise. thumbs_up.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 18

Yup, mamas got it right, heat your cream, and not your chocolate, the heat from the cream will melt the chocolate for you icon_smile.gif I once tried adding the melted choc to the hot cream, and it seized right up, was a complete waste!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #16 of 18

I know the butter makes the ganache shiny, but wHat's the sugar for? I've never added to my ganache. When do you add the sugar?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #17 of 18

Bump.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I know the butter makes the ganache shiny, but wHat's the sugar for? I've never added to my ganache. When do you add the sugar?

When using semi sweet chocolate it just makes it a little sweeter I guess icon_lol.gif I've never really thought about it, I just add it because that's what the recipe calls for. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%