Which Skin/flesh Coloured Gel Do You Use?

Decorating By zespri Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm by Angelfire3

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone advise me on how to best get a natural looking caucasian skin tone for modelling? I asked in my local cake shop, and they sold me some brown gel. She told me to use just a little bit and it would give me a better colour than buying the ivory gel. I tried it, and to be honest it just looks brown, it doesn't look flesh toned.

Another cake shop has told me to use apricot coloured gel, but I'm not keen on continuing to buy more and more colours in case they don't work, so thought I'd put it out there to the people with the experience and see what you've found works best.

Thanks!

Rachel icon_surprised.gif)

8 replies
Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 9

I use Americolor's Copper. If you need it a little darker, you can add a tiny bit of brown. It works good for me. The Crab Attack cake in my photos had some brown added to it, because I wanted him to have a 'tan'! The little gymnast and the graduate were just copper.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 9

I've used wilton skin tone and when I got low I bought
Americolor skin tone( I love all their other colors), and I found the wilton gave it a more real apperance.. the americolor gave it more of a pink..
But I did mix both (just to use it up)and it was perfect too...
icon_smile.gif Jodi

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 9

one of my teachers told us to use pink and yellow. I was skeptical untill i saw it. Looks just like flesh.

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the advice guys. I've never seen Americolor here in NZ, and Wilton is only available in some high-end stores for a pretty high price.

I was trying to find a pot of pink yesterday to try your method bakencake, when I stumbled upon a store which sells Sugarflair colours (UK brand) much cheaper than they usually are. They had some called 'Paprika/Flesh', so I bought some and tried to last night. It was really good!! So I'm pretty happy about that icon_smile.gif

But I'm still keen to know what shade of pink and what shade of yellow you used bakencake? I've been buying colours as I need them, and pink is pretty much the last shade I have to get. I'm not sure whether to get a dusky pink or a bright pink, maybe the bright would be more versatile...?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

Americolor or Wilton copper works for me.

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 9

I was trying to make an African American bikini cake for my hubby, but ended up with a Caucasian tone (according to a lot of people). I used Wilton's brown gel color & a lot of it and she still looked Caucasian.
LL

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 9

Yep, she really doesn't look african american at all, but she still looks great. It's actually a really nice caucasian colour, even if you didn't mean it! Maybe it's a good idea to mix a bit of my paprika with some brown, as the paprika is almost a bit TOO pink, and I really like the colour you got.

Just wondering, I've got my settings enabled to see adult themed cakes. 'Cos you can see her nips, does that mean that people who haven't got their settings enabled to see adult themed cakes will see no picture in your post? Just curious, still figuring out how these forums work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artese

I was trying to make an African American bikini cake for my hubby, but ended up with a Caucasian tone (according to a lot of people). I used Wilton's brown gel color & a lot of it and she still looked Caucasian.

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for that question, otherwise I wouldn't have realized that she was deleted from my uploads. I just reloaded her in the Naughty section. Small portions of her areola's, not nipples, are showing. But, to answer you question, you can only see her if you are registered on CC and 18 yrs or older.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%