Bumps Can Be Seen Through Mm Fondant...how Do I Fix This?

Decorating By MamaTara Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 2:05am by kimbordeaux

MamaTara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaTara Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to cake decorating and use MMF to cover my cakes. I would like to achieve a very smooth, clean look to my fondant, but the surface tends to be a little bumpy (it's not terrible, I just want to make it perfect). The surface of the cake is creating the bumps, the fondant itself is smooth. What am I not doing correctly?

*I use a fondant smoother
*I use a crumb coat
*My fondant is rolled to about 1/4" thick
*It looks better, but not perfect, after refrigerated

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
MamaTara Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry, I meant to say that I roll the fondant to about 1/8" thick.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

Two things can help fondant look smoother..a very smooth BC coating (I hear ganache is wonderful for this) and slightly thicker fondant. Mine is about the thickness of a nickle. I put the bc on and let my cake settle and come to room temp for about 3 hours...then I smooth the BC again and let it crust up then smooth it. This allows a very smooth surface for the fondant to sit upon. Then I do the normal fondant application. Seems to work for me. Not all the time, of course, nothing works all the time<G>

Cat

MamaTara Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:45am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your help!

Do you apply your BC to a refrigerated/cold cake?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 7

I fill and crumbcoat a frozen cake then let it thaw under the crumbcoat and settle for at least 3 hours. THEN I can do the final coat of BC or fondant. If I rush this process I tend to get bubbles in the BC or fondant..so I try to be patient instead<G>

MamaTara Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 7

Your help is priceless! Thanks, again!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

Almost all my cakes are covered in fondant. I used to use homemade MMF but I ended up not having time to make the amount I need so I now purchase Satin Ice. Anyway, I always do a crumbcoat first. I also do a thicker BC coat right before adding fondant. I quickly add fondant before BC crusts. I'm not sure of exact fondant thickness but I use those rolling pin spacers which help me create an even thickness and use the middle height when covering cakes. The new thicker layer of BC allows for some play with smoothness. Fondant thickness is tricky... too thick is too heavy and will tear on the edges and too thin will show imperfections.

~Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%