How Many Layers Do You Use For A Square Cake?

Decorating By mysweetsugar75 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm by dholdenrn

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 4

New here and new to decorating.
Love all of your cakes and information posted here.

How many layers do you normally use on a square cake and do you prefer using the 2" or 3" deep pans? I would like to buy some square pans, would appreciate your input.

3 replies
Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 4

It really depends on the look you are trying to get. Personally, I loke to use 2 of the 2" pans. You end up with a 4" layer.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 4

I usually do 2 layers for a regular square cake. I bake 2 layers, each layer is a full 2 inches tall which gives me just over 4 inches with torting (cutting each layer in 1/2) and filling (so there is a total of 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling). You don't have to cut your layers in 1/2 and fill them. That too is personal preference.

I have done a 3rd layer for the "Washing machine" cake in my picks because I wanted it to be a bit more proportionate.

I prefer 2 inch pans because they cook and cool faster and I don't have as much trouble getting the middles completely cooked. I'm sure other people prefer the 3 inch pans.

One thing is you want to invest in GOOD square pans. They are not created equal. You want very straight sides and crips corners. I have the Magic Line and love them. I'm sure other people will pop on as well.

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 4

I LOVE my new Magic Line pans...used them today actually! You get the nicest, square corners, nice and sharpe edges!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%