Cakes Sinking/collapsing

Baking By Joyful72 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 12:41am by Joyful72

Joyful72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful72 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 9

My 6" and 8" x 2" round cakes keep collapsing/sinking (see attached pics) and takes a while to cook, whether I use a doctored cake mix or make a cake from scratch. I've baked them @ 350 for 30 or so minutes w/baking strips. I've tried baking them @ 325 for about 50 min w/baking strips. I bake them for the specified time, but when I check, it's not completely cooked. I have to put it back in for another couple minutes several additional times. I only seem to have this problem with 6" and 8" round pans. I am absolutely frustrated at this point. icon_cry.gif

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong or have any suggestions for me?

Oh, the top also cracks.

TIA
LL
LL

8 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 9

Check the expiration dates on your ingredients, check your oven temp in different areas of the oven, and if you are doubling your recipe, don't double it (something I just learned!)

BatterUp809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUp809 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9

it could be too much liquid that's why it's collapsing, hence the cracked top. just keep practicing you'll get it! hope this is useful.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 9

the times int he books are for that persons oven, it seems yours runs a little different, so just give them the few extra minutes before you check.

plus for some cakes opening the door early can lead to sinking too.

my understanding is that the cracked top can come from the out side cooking faster, so the gooey middle can only pop out the middle, rather than make the cake rise as a whole, so turnign down the temp might help.
xx

Lacey7671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lacey7671 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 9

I believe the strips are not letting the cake bake properly. cake strips keep the side from baking as fast so the middle can catch up. On cakes that small there really isnt a need to slow down the sides. I usually cook with a flower nail in the middle.

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey7671

I believe the strips are not letting the cake bake properly. cake strips keep the side from baking as fast so the middle can catch up. On cakes that small there really isnt a need to slow down the sides. I usually cook with a flower nail in the middle.

Flower nail for all sizes?

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 9

Invest in an oven thermometer. For under $10 you can make sure your oven temp is accurate.

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 9

I haven't had a problem with the strips on smaller cakes, but I like the flower nail or heating core for anything over 10". You can use more than one nail on larger (ex - may spread out 2+ evenly in a 14" square, etc.) I also am at a high altitude/low (very low) humidity environment. Oven thermometer is a great investment, too.

Joyful72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful72 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for your input. I do need to check my oven temperature. I'll be doing that next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey7671

@Lacey7671: Just to clarify, you're saying that on small cake pans, the outsides and middle of the cake pretty much bake at the same speed, hence there's no need for the baking strips? You just use a flower nail w/the smaller size pans?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%