How Do You Make Cake Squares

Decorating By summersusu Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 10:51am by SugarandCandy

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to make cake squares and I am assuming that is like a sheet cake cut in to little squares. So my question is, to cut and then ice, ice and then cut...and if it is iced, how do you cut it without getting cake crumbs and icing everywhere?
Thanks

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 14

Well, I don't know what "cake squares" are either unless it's what you described.

Two options.
1. iced the cake and then put it in the freezer for a bit. Slice into squares and put each little square into a muffin paper.
2. Dip your knife into hot water, wipe, cut, wipe again between each cut. No crumbs

Would you believe that we have a bakery in town that refers to cut up sheet cake squares as petit fours? Umm . . . no.

summersusu Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 14

yikes, petit fours, I think not...which by the way I am doing in a couple of weeks. This cake is for a baby shower, so I am thinking it is the old school sheet cake cut...not sure why that design, not my fav, I like all the other things like the preg belly, or the diaper bag, but oh well....what ever floats your boat...thanks

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 14

I have seen muffin/cupcake pans in the shape of squares. That could me an option.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 14

Maybe they just want a pre-cut cake?

NittanyL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NittanyL Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 14

Maybe they want square layers? There are pans for that. I would ask what they mean.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Maybe they just want a pre-cut cake?

That's exactly what I thought, especially since you said it's for a baby shower. I see the old fashioned pink and blue booties piped on squares outlined by borders over the precut marks. *sigh* How original. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 14

Here, cake squares refers to a sheet cake that has been iced. Then, cut into 2x2 sections (fishing line works perfectly for this) but left on board. Each square has a decoration on it. Some add a top border around each square, some don't. Some bakeries (like Sam's Club and others) simply iced the cake and mark the 2x2 sections and place a decoration in each square (smooth the center area for any writing requested)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 14

I think I would ask and clarify what they are wanting.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 14

We do these all the time here. They are NOT petit fours. They are 2x2 pieces of cake cut from an iced single layer sheet cake. Just make your marks and cut horizontially and vertically. Dip the knife in hot water after each cut. We put them in cupcake papers.

summersusu Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks so much for all your help, so I am going with the sheet cake pre cut squares.....so from what I am reading...I should ice it first and then cut with a hot knife or fishing wire? Would it be better if I let it crust first or someone said freeze it? I am going to leave it on the cake board as a sheet but the customer should be able to easily pull it apart.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 14

Pre-cut cakes are a real PITA..I do a shower one often. If you are doing a precut, chill the cake first, then cut each line with a hot, wet knife. Normally, these aren't intented as "pull-aparts" like cupcake cakes, but precut for the server to put on a plate.

Oh...one other thing...as you are precutting, you will find the cake will want to "open" up where you've made your lines. You may need to push the sides of the cake slightly to bring it all back in. After I make the lines, I go over each line with a small start tip to hide the cut lines, but still show each individual piece of cake. Hopefully that makes sense.

Trinatreats1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trinatreats1 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 14

ASo ice, freeze, and then cut is that right

SugarandCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandCandy Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 10:50am
post #14 of 14

AI just finished cutting this cake. It's a big sheet cake but I had the same thoughts. It worked really well in the end what I did was...... Freeze the sheets the night before then did the filling (ganache) put it together and then cut it ! It wasn't rock hard but stays nice and moist and stiff enough to manage. Hope that helps!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3068658/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%