Help With Rkt-Adding Tylose-Fondant Colors "bleeding&qu

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm by KerrieD

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 3

Questions:
RKT - How far in advance can I make the item? I'm doing a cake for the 14 and wanted to experiment with RKT and it came out good. Can I use this one or make a fresh one?
I want to "harden" some fondant for a babeball cap bill. I would add tylose to the fondant, correct...how much?
Whenever I place a colored fondant decoration on to a fondant covered cake, if I move the decoration, it leaves the color. Can this be removed? Can a water mark on fondant be removed? (I'm using water as the adhesive).
Thanks!!!

2 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:49am
post #2 of 3

If you use margarine instead of butter in your RKT you should be ok or are you planning on using the pre packaged RKT from the store? Pre packaged should be fine too especially with all the preservatives that they have in them. I would wrap with plastic wrap and store in a large Ziploc bag. I have removed color using a lightly damp paper towel. I was told to add one tablespoon Tylose to one pound of fondant. Instead of using just water to glue your fondant pieces on your cakes take a little water and sprinkle in some Tylose. Let the Tylose dissolve. This makes the perfect glue. After making you fondant pieces place them in the oven (oven turned off of course) light on. This will help your fondant dry faster.

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the relpy ...still some questions...does using margarine differ than using butter? (I use butter for everything)
I plan on making my own RKT. Is 10 days to far in advance to make it? I made one last nite as a practice and it came out good - can I use that or should I make a fresh one?
Regarding the "glue" about how much water and how much tylose?
How long would you leave them in the oven for? Just till they're firm?
I want to do thin fondant stripes on the side of my 4" cake...should I use the fondant with tylose and let them "dry" in the oven so they wont be wobbly. They would go on straight as they are stiffer.
Thanks again for your help. (Still learning)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%