Gumpaste Questions

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 6

I made my first gumpaste roses tonight using the fabulous youtube videos suggested here on CC. But it left me with a few questions.

1) Is gumpaste supposed to be that sticky? I used the Wilton pre-made stuff which I'm sure is not the best. I had to powder my rolling mat pretty well to get it not to stick and then I felt like it dried out really quick.
Am I missing something?

2) I'm using the FMM cutters and I'm having a hard time getting a clean edge when I cut out the gumpaste. I am rolling it pretty thin so I don't think that's the problem. Or is that the problem?

3) For anyone who uses the FMM cutters, what is the purpose of the little divot on top? It seems to make it harder for me to thin the edges with it there.

4) Is it OK to dust them once they're completely dry? They seem pretty "fragile" to try and dust them before they've completely hardened.

5) Any tips on how to hang them upside down if they're on toothpicks instead of wires icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance. I was so please with how well they turned out. I can't wait to dust them and use them on a cake.

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 6

I use the Wilton GP all the time. If it is sticky, just kneed in a little crisco before you start.

I was using one of the small FFM cutters the other night and had to run my finger along the part between the petals to finish cutting it. I just used my ball tool to push them out of the cutter. You can rub the edges of the cutter crisco before you cut, that is suppose to help give a cleaner cut.

I think dusting them before or after is personal preference. I don't think there is just one way to do it.

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks TexasSugar,
I will try crisco, I really felt that using the cornstarch/ps mix was really drying it out.

I always smile when I see your posts because we're both in Texas and we're both Sagicon_smile.gif
Do you come in to Dallas to get your supplies or do you order everything online?

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 6

Most of my cake stuff, that is non Wilton, I actually pick up at the ICES Conventions. I know there are cake stores in Dallas, I just never seem to make it to there.

sandy1 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 6

Try pushing the toothpicks in a block of Styrofoam and flip it over between two boxes or cans, layers of books, etc., something with height.

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Sandy. I had the styro just didn't have the vision for the upside down...I will definately do thaticon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

TexasSugar, that makes sense. I've had good luck with my wilton stuff but I LOVE my magic line pans. The two stores in Dallas are pretty good if you need more specialty stuff..not cheap but usually a bit cheaper than paying shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%