Luster Dust, Pearl Dust, Petal Dust???

Decorating By kam-ary Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 9:17am by sandy99

kam-ary Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #1 of 25

hope i don't sound stupid but are these all different, or just different names for one thing?? i've used the pearl dust, and was wondering if the others work/look differently on say cakes, and gumpaste or if they are all pretty much the same??

24 replies
sweetlybaked Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 25

They are all different. I know petal dust does not have any sheen in it, it's just like a flat powder, the luster dust is sparkly, usually the silver and gold that you see, pearl is probably the same about and if you find disco then the glitter in it is bigger, much more noticible. HTH...and if I've got one mixed up with another, forgive me icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 25

Petal dust is usually used for flower, to bring them to live, as it is matte colors.

Luster dusts are metalic or shimmer and come in a wide range of colors.

Pearl just is just a light shimmer. Luster dusts are going to work similar to that, but will have more color in them.

They are all used pretty much the say way. You can dry dust them or paint with them.

tcwheeler Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 25

Thanks TXSugar for your helpful info. I get confused too. Have to look at the bottles and them I'm not 100% sure. icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 25

it is also very pretty to layer pearl dust on top of petal dust. luster dusts would pretty much completely obliterate the petal dust color because they have their own color, but pearl dust does not. it just makes the petal dust color pearlescent.

Gloria72777 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks for the info and thanks for asking the question!!!

kam-ary Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:33am
post #7 of 25

thanks so much for your help, does anyone know if you can buy these in stores, Micheal's only had pearl dust. and i really wanted the other two!!

drakegore Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 25

the only kind you will find at michael's or other craft stores are wilton's (in my opinion they are no where as good as the other brands). you will need to go to a cake store or online to get them.

a really good place is (take the spaces out...) is l u s t e r d u s t . c o m
the prices are really good and they have a flat shipping rate. plus if you type "cakecentral" in their discount box, you get 10% off.

they also ship very fast.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 25

Wilton's pearl dust is actually both. The white would be what most brands consider the pearl and the colored versions would be like Luster Dusts. Wilton's colors are limited but they are FDA approved and completely edible rather than just non toxic like alot of other brands are out there.

If you are looking for edible versions, (not just the no toxic) look up Crystal Colors. Their regular colors are like petal dusts (being that they are matte) but you can use them to dust with as well as color your buttercream, fondant, royal and so on. They also have a silver and gold luster dust and I believe a pearl dust.

As far as finding them locally you won't see any but Wilton in the craft stores. If you have a cake supply store in the area you may find them there, but other wise you probably have to order them. The two brands I have the most of are CK and ECG.

zarpandit Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 25

hello ladies icon_smile.gif

I want to make sugar flowers...I'll start a new.I'll take Wilton's set but I can not decide on dusts..

What color should I get? for leaves and for flowers..
Which one should I get,petal dust pearl dust or luster dust?????
I'm so confused..

by the way i will buy from

zarpandit Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 25

Is there anyone icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 25

For flowers I'd consider the petal dusts.

As far as colors that all depends on what colors and flowers you are doing.

zarpandit Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 25

TXsugar thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

I will first make..I do not want to ruin..i live in Turkey and my orders will be expensive for i'm asking icon_smile.gif

Well, which one should I use to make them brighter? pearl dust or luster dust or sparkle dust?

my english very bad i'm sorry icon_sad.gif

zarpandit Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 25

for example: What colors should I use for leaves?
Which is the best red? There are a lot of shade on the site icon_sad.gif

bluejeannes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #15 of 25

I know everyone already answered your question, but I had the same question a few days ago and Iwantalicakes replied to my post and put these links that were really helpful:

zarpandit Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:06am
post #16 of 25

yay! i'm understanding..

I found this :

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 25
Originally Posted by zarpandit

for example: What colors should I use for leaves?
Which is the best red? There are a lot of shade on the site icon_sad.gif

The thing is, it all depends on what shades of colors you what. How dark or light. What look you are going for.

I don't think there is just one perfect red. I do think you should get several shades of the colors and you can blend those to come up with a more realistic look. If you shade with just one tone of the color, the flower can still look flat.

zarpandit Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 25

I can usually use a color tone should be...I'll take most of the flowers..
At first, I need to get those I will suggest for

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 25

This is a set of colors that Ruth Rickey put together. It is sort of a starter set.

zarpandit Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:32pm
post #20 of 25

woooow amazing.. are you an angel ?? icon_smile.gif thank you so much! I can not get this set { because I will be forced to raise money for a long time + expensive to develop my country}but I'll try to find colors...

I asked many questions i was disturbed i'm sorry icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #21 of 25

No problem with asking questions. Ask away.

zarpandit Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm
post #22 of 25

well hýmm which brand is good as ? sunflower sugarart? globalsugarart? There are two brands on the site...

sandy99 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #23 of 25

petal dust is not edible? icon_eek.gif

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:12pm
post #24 of 25
Originally Posted by sandy99

petal dust is not edible? icon_eek.gif

Alot of brands have petal dusts that are labeled as non toxic which is not the same thing as edible.

The idea behind it is that the dusts are suppose to go on items that are placed but not eaten.

There are many people that will use them on cakes (i've used luster dusts on them myself.) There area also people that will use non toxic art chalks to brush their colors on.

Now if you are looking for an edible version of petal dusts, check out Crystal colors. They have a big selection of colors.

sandy99 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:17am
post #25 of 25

thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%