Finished!! My First Fondant Cake And I'm Pleased!

Decorating By au_decorator_76 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:25am by sweetcakesbyjen

au_decorator_76 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 10

I used MMF. It was much easier to work with than I was afraid of. I was very happy with how it turned out. Almost don't want to cut into it. LOL.

Please I'd be happy to hear any constructive criticism and thoughts. I think I used too much water to get rid of the corn starch so any suggestions on that would be great! I also had problems with placing of circles. I got the color combo from the wheel but my orange didn't turn out as bright as I'd have liked.

Thanks for looking! I've gotten so much instruction from you guys so it only seems fitting to share. icon_smile.gif

Link to my cake in the gallery.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1760670

9 replies
Rebealuvsweets Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 10

Very nice!!! U did great for ur first time...Have fun working with fondant... icon_biggrin.gif

deMuralist Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 10

I really like it. very festive

mslesuer Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:39am
post #4 of 10

Great job! Keep up the Good work!!

Kaylani Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #5 of 10

Looks great! Trying fondant is intimidating. Good job you for jumping in and making a great cake. Steam will take away the extra corn sarch, but will be a little shiny. Same thing with a light rubbing of crisco after a bit. icon_smile.gif
I like it, but it is totally individual icon_smile.gif
Happy Caking! thumbs_up.gif

au_decorator_76 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 10

Thanks! icon_smile.gif I couldn't get the balls all uniform but that I imagine comes with practice. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #7 of 10

I use a steamer to get rid of all the corn starch. Works great thumbs_up.gif

tesso Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #8 of 10

fabulous job on your first fondant cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

constructive suggestions:

You can use everclear to brush over your cake and decorations to remove any pwd sug residue. and it gives it a nice shine.

If you roll your fondant ball in your palms (palm to palm) no finger tips, you wont have any lines in them.

good job on the cake. It looks festive!! I wouldnt want to cut it either!! icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 10

Great job! The photo of the white fondant base looks excellent, very smooth with no pleats at the bottom!
I recently did my first fondant cake (used Wilton fondant), and the second cake turned out much improved so your next cake should be gorgeous. I'm impressed that you made your own fondant--I haven't been brave enough to try MMF yet.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #10 of 10

Looks awesome! To make the balls even, I roll out my fondant however thick I want and then use a cutter, any shape, to cut a piece and then roll them up in my palms. That way they are all the same size and I don't have to guess if they are all even. Saves me a lot of rolling and rerolling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%