Black Satin Ice Disaster!!!!! What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By holliellen Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm by Hollandy

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I had an 80's cake due on Saturday night. It was to be a 3 tier all chocolate/chocolate butter cream filling . The bottom tier was a pac-man theme, the middle was rubix cube, and the top was MTV logos. My plan was to cover it all in black SI and then decorate with fondant decorations. I worked on covering just the bottom tier with fondant for about 4 hours Friday night and as soon as I would put the fondant on the cake it would tear around the edges. So I would take it off, roll it out and try again, cutting off anything extra to reduce extra weight and it would still tear. I also had some black MMF that I had made sitting aside so I tried that. It tore too!!!! So I got online and looked up what the heck to do and saw the "shortening method" no ps or cs just lather it up in shortening and roll it out and it should be fine. So I did that and it had a leather look. So I thought maybe its just dry. So I covered it in shortening, wrapped it up and went to bed. I got up in the morning hoping it had time to hydrate and work properly. I rolled it out and it looked like it was going to work. I put it on the cake and bam......it tore like crazy!!!! I dont know what I did wrong. This is the first time I used SI.........I ended up just covering it in black butter cream and adding fondant decorations but it didnt look how I wanted it too. The clients still loved it but I dont! It was not my vision.
LL

5 replies
Sugar-Coated Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar-Coated Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 6

I think your cake turned out great as it is!! Sorry you had so much trouble with the fondant. I've had that problem if it's too warm in the house, or if the fondant had been sitting in the heat too long (maybe in a warehouse, or perhaps outside after being delivered.) You can contact Satin Ice and ask them if they have any suggestions for you as to what might have happened. But good save on the cake!

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 6

Was it rolled too thin? That is always my problem. If I roll it too thin and I'm covering a square cake, it tears. Especially when I have made my own and I needed to add so much color to make it intense (like black and red) but if you bought satin ice I wonder why there was a problem. I think it still turned out great. What a cute idea. And I totally understand the 'its not my vision'. I struggle with that too. But no worries, it looks great.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

I had the exact same problem! I don't know what was up with it but it almost ruined my friend's wedding cake. I didn't roll it too thin or anything. I was in hysterics by the time I was done.

But your cake turned out awesome!!!!

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the kind words. I think I might call Satin Ice and see if they have any suggestions. I know it wasn't too warm in my house. I live in Washington State and its cold all the time and we dont really use the heat in the summer. I might of been rolling it too thin. Thats the only thing I can think of. I have only covered a few cakes with fondant so I am new at this. I just want to figure out what went wrong so it doesnt happen again. I live on the coast and the nearest cake shop is 3 hours so I get so stressed if anything goes wrong because I cant just run and get a replacement or more of anything.

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 6

I know what you mean about your own vision, but I think your cake looks fantastic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%